Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergies to rabbits one of the common exscuses to rehome the bunny yet rarley right

Young Bun

Default Allergies to rabbits one of the common exscuses to rehome the bunny yet rarley right

Hi all,
    I thought i would share this with you as i bet a lot of people dont consider it when taking in a rabbit.
    I had a woman recently knock on my door because she had 4 rabbits that were her grandchildrens. Now she asked if i could help her find homes for these rabbits. My first question was why as she had only had the rabbits for 6 months. Im allergic to them she said. Being synical about the Phrase "im allergic to em" I asked if i could go round and see her with them i also took a grooming comb with me which will be revealed why in a second.

We got to her house and i asked her to get me a bunny out to see what happened to her when she held one. Sure enough she scooped this bunny up into her arms along with all the hay that was stuck to the little darlings fur and immediatly she started streaming with tears and sneezing. I told her to put it back and she offered to make me a cup of tea, so while she was doing that i groomed the rabbit she had just held getting rid of all the hay and bits of grass and took the rabbit to sit down with me. She brought in the tea and we sat there chatting. once i knew her mind had been took of the situation i passed her the bunny.
    Guess what -
    Hey your right no allergy she had hay fever and not a reaction to the poor little fluff balls as i suspected.

I recomended she get herself some dust masks from b&q or somewhere and that was that.

Her and the bunnys are now living a playful life together and she promises the buns are now there for life.

Tony

Its a difficult one this.. I love bunnies that much that i wouldnt, but if it makes you that uncomfortable, surely it is not fair on either the owner or the animal.

IMO tho.

but she shouldn't have said she has an allergy if she doesn't as that makes genuine people look fake.
    Married Mummy of 1 beautiful little girl - Lyla-Rose

Aiming to make a big dent in my weight this year - started 29.10.11

Started @ 112.1kg
    Current weight @ 102.6kg
    Goal @ 65kg

I AM A FORUM BUDDY PLEASE PM ME FOR ASSISTANCE

Yep, there are definitely some people that use it as an excuse but must be some genuine ones out there too. I guess people don't think to check if it's the bedding.

Young Bun

Now that she uses the dust masks she is fine with them she is actually medically diagnosed as having hay fever but i didnt ask her that first as i wanted to prove it wasnt the bunnys

My hubby is very allergic to some of the hay we have used in the past... good job it was after we had the buns for years. If that happened when we first had them, our natural instinct would think it was the fur!

Was easily solved when we changed hay though It is definitly worth considering that it isn't the animal but the hay/bedding.

I am allergic to hay but I couldnt not keep bunnies. I wear gloves and a mask when it is hay fever season
    Toulouse,Otto & Minnie cats <3

Quote Originally Posted by Amy & Amber View Post
    I am allergic to hay but I couldnt not keep bunnies. I wear gloves and a mask when it is hay fever season
    me too. Forgot my gloves last night and I paid for it!!

Mum to:
    Splodge, Blackberry, Moo, Liquorice & Georgie Pudding the buns
    Tufty, Pippin, Marvin, Dilly, Mo, Jingle, Belle, Tinsel, Eggbert, Frosty, Quaver, Pumpkin, Spooky & Spider the zebra finches (beeps)
    Cosy the cat
    Rainbow Bridge: Scrumpie Jack
    Rainbow Bridge beeps: Edward, Stanley, Lilly, Snowy, Pye, Twiggy, Tilly, Molly, Oliver, Milly, Tony & Margie

Check out my divine store at:
    www.soapysaurus.co.uk

i have a minor allergy to hay.. i sneeze a solid 20 mins when i top up the hay for my pair....

im more allergic to work tho and cant give that up so my buns stay too

Alvin my precious angel is no longer living with me *sad face*
    RIP Hollywillaboobie love you forever... Alvin is ruling his own little kingdom at Hopper Haven http://www.hopperhaven.org.uk a bunny paradise

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT PLEDGE A POUND - Visit the Pledge a Pound Website and Forum http://pledgeapound.net/about.php

Warren Scout

I have mild hay fever or whatever but i take liquid piriton (I don't need a whole dose so the tablets would be too much) all year round to combat it and I never have any problems.

Besides, I knew this and checked and checked again before taking on the responsibility of owning a rabbit.

Works for me!

K x

Our GP once told my Mum that she was allergic to rabbits and that we should think about moving him (Mum was gutted as she adores Tango and said she's rather sneeze and cough). I decided that her symptoms only started when I changed Tango's bedding to megazorb so changed bedding and guess what Mum not "allergic" to Tango anymore!