• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Glossary - Words, Phrases and Acronyms you might see

FYI - i have given up trying to update the OP because i was confusing myself, i am now keeping a lsit and will update in blocks. Hope thats ok with everyone :wave:

Vetbed - a fluffy carpetlike material that is comfortable to lie on, yet absorbs urine. Especially useful for sick bunnies.
Rearguard - A foam that is applied to the rabbit's back and rear end that prevents flystrike by stopping fly eggs developing into maggots.

Anyone want to have a stab at explaining statis, or myxi or vhd for that matter, just briefly. Or what a dental is.
Sorry i'm not totally usless i just have no expereince with this type of thing :oops:

Ok quick update for anyone feeling brave, we are awaiting a brief explanation on:
Stasis
Myxi
VHD
Flystrike
Dental
If anyone ca help please :wave:

Flystrike - a serious life threatening problem in the summer months where flies lay eggs on the rabbits fur which then hatch into maggots. The maggots attack the rabbit which will quickly die of shock if rapid action is not taken.

Stasis - Gastro Intestinal Stasis. The condition of slowing down or complete stopping of the gut. Usually a secondary symptom of another ailment which has caused the rabbit to stop eating. Signs of Stasis are not wanting to eat and/or little or no pooing. Stasis should be seen to immediately, failure to do so could be fatal. Treatment can involve gut stimulants, pain killers, syringing water and soft foods. Most rabbits recover fully although some are prone to repeated bouts.

Is oxbow just a hay or is it s food mix as well?
Could someone give me a list of different hay types, because alot of people refer to timothy hay etc abbrivated.

Oxbow do hay, they also do Oxbow Bunny Basics T (Timothy based pellets) and Oxbow Bunny 15/23 (alfalfa based)

Not too sure about the other foods but have tried hay below (edited info from hayexperts site)

Timothy hay - a mix of flat blade and stalk, high fibre content, thought to be best for bunnies

Meadow hay - mostly softer than timothy hay often contain grasses and herbs

Oat Hay - similar to Timothy, offers a different taste and texture

Brome Hay - similar to Timothy, offers a different taste and texture

Alfalfa - extremely tasty and loved by nearly all, this is high in nutrients and fibre. Because of its high fibre, nutritional content and wonderful taste, it is an excellent food source to encourage eating in recovering animals following illness or surgery. It should only be fed as a treat as it is high in calcium which can lead to excess calcium build-up in the bladder.

Found these on the net and altered some wording (as I found some a bit blunt):

Myxi:
Myxomatosis is a virus that is common in both wild and pet rabbits. Myxomatosis is commonly spread by the rabbit flea and because of this does not need direct contact between two rabbits. This means any rabbit is at risk and should be vaccinated. As a disease, myxomatosis causes swelling of the eyes, nostrils and genitals. Myxomatosis is a painful disease and causes a nasty death. It is essential that all rabbits are vaccinated against this highly common disease.

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (VHD):
This is a fatal, highly contagious disease of domestic rabbits. The disease takes 24-72 hours to develop after infection with the virus, some cases may be rapidly fatal without prior indication of illness. It is highly recommended vaccination for all rabbits against this disease.

Flystrike:
Flystrike is the infestation of any animal with maggots - often caused by dirty living conditions. The eggs hatch a day later, and the larvae, maggots, eat into the flesh. It is essential to clean the rabbit's home and check your rabbits health every day to help prevent this.

Malocclution
If the rabbit's teeth do not meet properly, then this normal wearing down does not occur and the teeth can grow very long. This condition is called malocclution- or buck or wolf teeth. As rabbit's teeth constantly grow it is essential to provide hay available at all times to wear them down.

Some rabbits develop malocclusion from an injury. This occasionally happens when a rabbit chews on its wire cage. Whatever the cause, once the teeth are out of position they rarely return to the proper position. In most cases, the teeth must be clipped every 2 to 3 weeks.

Please excuse me if there is anything you believe is not exact and alter my wording. :D

Thanks

Following Tamsins 'newbie' thread it has been decided we will do a glossary of common abbriations and commonly used phrases and words that a newbie may not understand:
eg
plum(s) - male rabbits testicles
doe - female rabbit
buck - male rabbit
kit - baby rabbit
Spay - operation to remove female rabbit sex organs
Castrate - operation to remove male rabbit sex organs
neuter - operation to remove sex organs in either sex of rabbit
lol - laugh out loud
afaik= as far as i know
lmao = laughing my ass off
rofl = rolling on floor laughing
rew - red eyed white
PTS = put to sleep
BEW ~ Blue eyed white
PEW - pink eyed white
A&P - Allen and Page
SS - Science Selective
2 foot / slave / hoomin - rabbit owner
VHD - Viral Hemorrhagic Disease
Myxi - Myxamatosis
EC - Encephalitozoon cuniculi
Panacur - worming treatment to prevent EC
Metaclopramide - Gut stimulant
Metacam - Pain relief (I think)
Probiotic - Helps maintain essential Gastrointestinal bacteria
Baytril - a commonly used antibiotic
DFH - Dust Free Hay (website that seels hay)
HE - Hay Experts (website that sells hay) www.thehayexperts.co.uk
PP - Pampered Piggies (website selling hay toys treats for rabbits and guinea pigs)
HH - Happy Hutch (company that makes hutches)
OP = Original post/Origional poster
o/h or OH = other half
WWW - West Wales Willows
lop - A bunny with ears that flop downwards
cecotroph - a squishy poo that looks like a bunch of tiny grapes. Rabbits should eat these to extract more nutrients.
Dewlap - a "double chin" most evident on females. Used as a handy place to pluck fur from when nest building.
bump = to bring a post back to the top of the page so that it gets noticed.
ETA = Edited to add (when you edit a post)
flop/happy flop - when a bunny flops onto its side, its a way of showing happiness
bonding / bonded - Rabbits that have accepted one another and are friends.
RWA - Rabbit Welfare Association
BTW - By the way
BF - Boyfriend
GF - Girlfriend
FYI - For Your Info
P@H/PAH - Pets at Home
TBH - To Be Honest
Scanning - Moving the head from side to side in order to obtain a clearer picture of it's surroundings. Usually done by REWs
binky - Happy bunny dance / jump / twist?
When a rabbit binkies, it jumps into the air and twists its head and body in opposite directions (sometimes twice) before falling back to the ground. This can be done while standing in one place, or while running, which is really weird looking, and is sometimes called the "happy bunny dance." A rabbit can even turn 180o in midair. All this is a rabbit's way of telling you straight out that it is happy and overall pleased with you and its life.
eg
binky.gif

etc
please all add you own :wave:

I love the pic of your binkying bunny.

Back