Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing yellow stains on rabbit feet?

Default Removing yellow stains on rabbit feet?

I need more info on bathing rabbit~
    Or rather, to remove yellow stains on their feet

At the moment the cage i have is small for them
    (Well, its ok since they're still small but they'll need a bigger cage when they grow up)

My plan at the moment is to just train them to use the potty first.
    And then perhaps let them roam around the kitchen without having them to poop/pee everywhere but the potty. But yeah i still need to know how to remove those yellow stains on the feet .

(I know lots of people say that its normal)
    (But i guess its just psychologically cleaner)

Is there a 'safe' way to do it?
    I saw this youtube vid at;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-9BR2DF_Mg

I don't really know if that's the 'right' way of doing it~
    So just thought i'd ask all the experts in this forum~

Evo is a house bunny, and litter trained, and he has perfect white feet anyway. Maybe you'll find that your bun's feet are cleaner when they're litter trained?

Quote Originally Posted by Rallybunny View Post
    Evo is a house bunny, and litter trained, and he has perfect white feet anyway. Maybe you'll find that your bun's feet are cleaner when they're litter trained?
    Is that EVO in your .gif?
    So cute XD

Wow, how did you maintain him to have perfect white feet?
    Ummm, well~
    I know that they're eventually going to be cleaner when they're litter trained~
    But i just thought that someone's gotta wash their feet like at least once before they get used to the litter.
    (I'm under the assumption that the yellow stains are their urine/poo stains)

I also need more info on litter-training them~
    Some says keep shoving their poo inside
    Others say you wait and see where they poo mostly in and shift the litter there. I also heard that you must lure them with 'hay' to be placed near the litter~

I'm not convinced they are urine stains (but I'm not an expert). My black bunnies have grey fur on their feet and the two bunnies I've had with white feet have creamy yellow fur on the underside of their feet. The front paws are the same colour as the back feet and the litter trays have absorbent material in so I'm not sure how the front paws would get stained.

I've always found my bunnies even from about 8 weeks are excellent at weeing in the tray, pooping is more of an issue but they have all got the idea fairly quickly. .. using the methods you've already listed - moving the poo to the tray, putting the tray in the corner they've chosen etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    I'm not convinced they are urine stains (but I'm not an expert). My black bunnies have grey fur on their feet and the two bunnies I've had with white feet have creamy yellow fur on the underside of their feet. The front paws are the same colour as the back feet and the litter trays have absorbent material in so I'm not sure how the front paws would get stained.

I've always found my bunnies even from about 8 weeks are excellent at weeing in the tray, pooping is more of an issue but they have all got the idea fairly quickly. .. using the methods you've already listed - moving the poo to the tray, putting the tray in the corner they've chosen etc.
    Good evening Bunny Buddy~

Umm, The stain isn't really visible on Carpet's feet~
    But yeah, probably it's still there (Just camouflaged)

At the moment both my bunnies have no idea how to pee/poo properly~
    I'm quite desperate at litter-training them at the moment as i really need them to be trained if i want to move them to a bigger space .

I've arranged a bigger play-pen for them but it probably won't be able to accommodate their size 3-4 months later when they're fully grown. Do you also use the 'poo-moving' method? I've been moving poo to the tray for like 3 full weeks now and still no progress

I've just looked at your last thread, and then looked at all my bunnies feet. All 4 of them have discoloured fur on the bottoms of their feet, it's caused by them running about. IT'S NOT URINE. It's normal and won't come off.

If its urine it would smell, but I really think it's just probably because the fur is thicker on the soles of their feet. Even my black bun has yellowish grey fur on the undersides of her paws. Its the natural colouring, just as the soles of your feet would discolour as your skin hardened if you were to walk barefoot all the time.

The video shows one way to bath a bunny, but it can be stressful, and I wouldn't do it unless your rabbit is definitely dirty and you can detect a smell on them.
    Mum to: Gladys Emmanuel my big gentle lady, Nigel my grumpy boy, Dougal my cuddlebun, Doris the world's greatest digger, Colin the Cornish Rex and Hamish the Hamster. - Bereft of Bunnies but Forever in my Heart <3 xx

Quote Originally Posted by Siona View Post
    I've just looked at your last thread, and then looked at all my bunnies feet. All 4 of them have discoloured fur on the bottoms of their feet, it's caused by them running about. IT'S NOT URINE. It's normal and won't come off.

If its urine it would smell, but I really think it's just probably because the fur is thicker on the soles of their feet. Even my black bun has yellowish grey fur on the undersides of her paws. Its the natural colouring, just as the soles of your feet would discolour as your skin hardened if you were to walk barefoot all the time.

The video shows one way to bath a bunny, but it can be stressful, and I wouldn't do it unless your rabbit is definitely dirty and you can detect a smell on them.
    Ahhhh alright~
    so its not like 'dirty' right?
    Another member from another forum gave me this reply;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    try rabbit dry shampoo (powder form).. rub some powder into their feet, then wipe off the powder. make sure you remove the powder completely.

but pee stains are very stubborn and hard to remove. the best bet will be just to wait for the dirty fur to fall out over time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now my main issue is more towards potty training them
    Do you have any useful tips Siona?
    I need the most effective way of doing it

Default ?

Rabbit hate baths! There are lots of other options you could use...

1) Brush the yellow parts with a flea comb or a brush with soft bristles untill it starts to fade.

2) If any parts of the fur are clumped together with dirt, cut or clip the fur (Unless of course it can be brushed out easily).

3) Buy some special grooming wipes.

4) CLEAN THE HUTCH MORE! The yellow is either coming from wee the rabbit is walking in or sometimes even the yellowish dye in wood chipings!

5) Wipe all yellow parts with a damp face cloth.

My Lola has dirty feet. Its because she runs around the garden - and sometimes sits in her litter tray because she CAN!!! Despite having a lovely bed with hay!

I think its just a bunny thing to have dirty paws!

Default ...

even when you try all the ideas i gave before, it's impossible to make them COMPLETELY white. At most rabbit shows, slightly yellow/cream feet don't even matter.