Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting a Wendy House U/D 10 June more pictures

Default Converting a Wendy House U/D 10 June more pictures

Hiya.

Just in the process of converting my newest purchase on ebay and having been asked in the past about second floors etc I thought I might post a few pics. Hope they are of some use.

Starting with the skeleton

Took out the perspex and replaced it with weld mesh. The perspex can be kept and made into weather screens. Made a simple frame and added weld mesh to make an internal door that means you can leave the solid door open in good weather. Bunnies will also love being able to see out at floor level.

Put some insulation on the walls - I've found this to work a treat in my earlier version of the same wendy house. The bunnies sailed through the winter. You can use silver backed bubble wrap or Rockwool etc but in this case because of iit's sheltered location I opted for layers of regular bubble wrap. Roof is insulated with Wickes silver backed bubble wrap and works equally brillaintly in the summer or the winter.

I attached some battening to support the skin that is going to be added, plus this gives you something to attach a second floor to.

I cut a hole in the side of the wall for access to the run outside and added battening to frame it out and give strength. It also gives the bunnies something to grip onto. In addition, if they are chewers, you can easily replace attached bits, where you couldn't replace the actual sides of the shed!

Using plywood, I have skinned the whole of the wendy house out to give extra warmth. The bonus is that the little darlings can't chew the uprights or wee in the corners where you can't clean. Also, I find that fluff collects in the sides of sheds so this helps to prevent that too.

I attached an old hutch door (saving me masses of time and swearing) as the closure for the hatch into the run. This time I have attached it on the inside of the wendy house and it will swing up under the shelf and hook open. The last wendy house I did this in, I put it on the oustide but every time I needed to hook it closed I had to climb into the run to do so. Having it inside should make it much easier.

I also attached some more battening in a frame for the second floor, screwing through into the timber I added earlier - nice and sturdy.

I have added skirting board as this gives the little sweethearts something else to chew if they must, it can always be replaced. Put a piece of timber on the shelf frame and covered both it and the entire floor with lino to help cleaning out. Works a treat and saves masses of time. It also helps with insulation.

Lastly added a bit of a rim to the shelf so that things don't fall of the shelf and a little ladder.

That's as far as I have got to date - out there today making the attached run.
    Last edited by The Duchess; 10-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duchess View Post
    Made a simple frame and added weld mesh to make an internal door that means you can leave the solid door open in good weather. Bunnies will also love being able to see out at floor level.
    Thats a fantastic idea,
    it looks great I wish my DIY skills where up to that they are going to love it.

So having had a think about litter trays and where to put them, I decided to move the ladder. I had to add more shelving to do this but I am now chuffed with the amount of space I have (or rather the buns) have got. They seem to like it too now they've moved in. Shall be doing the paving and adding their run today and tomorrow so then they'll have a load of outside play too.

Last edited by The Duchess; 07-06-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Oh wow look at all that!! What a brilliant bunny home!!!
    Behind every great man is a very surprised woman...

6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzap View Post
    Oh wow look at all that!! What a brilliant bunny home!!!
    Thank you Caroline. To be honest I couldn't stop thinking about your great hutch set up and liked your ladder and hole arrangement - I had to copy it (kind of).

Young Bun

wow thats fab great house for buns

Mama Doe

Wow - excellent conversion!
    My special bunnies, Toby Twostep and Mabel Flump (NWRR).
    Sleep tight my precious Noo, darling Spring, handsome BJ, beloved Rosie, fluffy man Herbie, little poppet Hollie, wee Bobbin and Gabriel, simply a legend
    Til we meet again xx

What a wonderful idea.

Before I eventually move in probably about 5 years time, I will be coming with my camera to take lots of picies and ideas away with me. Will need them to set up my bunny accomodation.
    Purchase your Pledge a Pound hoodie here

Help support the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign and spread the message that rabbits should not be bought on impulse by visiting their shop here

Supporting pet stores without livestock where profits are created ethically

wow thats a really good job youve done.. and the finished product looks amazing.. very lucky bunnies

Alvin my precious angel is no longer living with me *sad face*
    RIP Hollywillaboobie love you forever... Alvin is ruling his own little kingdom at Hopper Haven http://www.hopperhaven.org.uk a bunny paradise

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT PLEDGE A POUND - Visit the Pledge a Pound Website and Forum http://pledgeapound.net/about.php

What a fab home for your bunnies...i'm sure they are going to love it. well done

Thank you CheekyTikki!

Binky Free My Gorgeous Roar Roar. Love Always x