• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a nightmare weekend/ updated

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
It started on Friday night when Flint went into stasis, nothing that unusual as he does suffer from repeated bouts, but this time his partner Fern wouldn't eat either. They are very close so I thought maybe she wasn't eating because Flint wasn't. So I gave Flint his meds and gave her some Metacam to be on the safe side. A bit later Fern was eating and an hour or so after that Flint was eating too.

Also on Friday Hazel piggy was starting to deteriorate so I brought her inside to syringe feed, afterwards she was restless and wanted to go back to the group.

Saturday morning Flint and Fern seemed fine, I checked her teeth and they looked ok to me. I then had to say goodbye to the dutch bunnies which was sad. When i got back from the bunnyrun Hazel was unconscious so I sat with her til she pasted away. Later that afternoon at feeding time again Flint and Fern were not eating anything. I came to the conclusion that it was Fern that was sick and Flint had decided not to eat because of Fern not eating.

Over the evening I gave her every med I have and tried all sorts of food but nothing. I decided against syringe feeding her as I was really stressing her out and she was still lively, moving around and washing herself. Flint did nibble some food. I left her over night, although Steve checked her at 2am and she wasn't eating but still lively.

This morning I got up early and she is the same, but when I opened Bruce's shed up he was flopped on the floor and refused to eat.
Bruce is now dosed up with everything but so far no improvement. I can't make him out either, his behaviour is strange. He keeps doing "happy flops" with his legs in the air, which isn't normal for sick bunnies. I will leave him a bit longer before attempting syringe feeding him.

I have given Fern meds and syringe fed her this morning. She is still lively, washing and going through tunnels. She is pooing but it is a bit mucousy. I really don't know what is wrong with her, but I am very worried as she is a French lop who will be 6 next month.

Sorry for the long post, things are a bit stressful at the moment. I am just hoping I can keep everyone relatively comfy until the vets open at 8 in the morning.

Last edited:
:shock: Oh blimey :shock:

I bet Fern does have some molar spurs. Maybe the mucusy poo is due to her guts being quite empty :? As the metacam obviously helped it seems mouth pain might be the cause of her inappetance :?

I hope they all improve throughout the day

Janex :)

Thanks Jane. The metacam appeared to helped Friday night but it didn't help last night or this morning so far :(

I really hope it is something simple like spurs

Oh, Liz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am SO sorry that your weekend has been so horrific. Any one of those things would be bad enough on their own.:cry:

I am sending loads and loads and loads of vibes for the buns, and calm and tranquil ones for you. ::hugs:: xxx :cry:

The good news is Bruce has now started eating normally again, the medicine I gave him obviously did the trick :D

Unfortunately Fern is not much better she has had a nibble on a spring green leaf but that is it. Not much for a French lop. :( She is still moving around ok and washing, and poor Flint is following her around glued to her side. He isn't eating properly either but I know it's because she wont eat.

I am so worried about Fern, I'd noticed she has been slowing down for a few months now. I really hope she has something simple that the vets can fix. I hate to think how Flint will react if anything happens to Fern. We nearly lost him when his brother archie died and he still had Fern for company then and he has had repeated bouts of stasis for over a year now the cause of which is unknown despite tests.

I have a bad feeling about this, I just hope the vets can prove me wrong in the morning

Oh goodness poor you, what a horrid weekend :(
Sending lots of vibes for Fern. I hope its something they can sort out.
Thinking of you x x

Lots of vibes, sounds like you are having a very stressful time. I know how it feels, having 2 poorly bunnies here, one of which is behaving much like your Fern.

Lots of loves, hugs and vibes xxxx

I've had to leave Fern at the vets, she will be there until at least tomorrow morning. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, her teeth seemed ok. She needs to be on fluids for now, so they will not do any further investigation until tomorrow.

I just hope Flint doesn't stop eating again now, he gets really depressed on his own.:(

I've had to leave Fern at the vets, she will be there until at least tomorrow morning. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, her teeth seemed ok. She needs to be on fluids for now, so they will not do any further investigation until tomorrow.

I just hope Flint doesn't stop eating again now, he gets really depressed on his own.:(

I am so sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with poorly bunnies.
I am thinking of you and am sending positive vibes for Fern to make a full recovery.
Best wishes

I've popped up the vets to visit Fern, and she is no different, still lively but not eating or pooing. They are giving her all the usual meds, metaclopromide, metacam, zantac, baytril and lots of fluids plus syringe feeding.

I will ring first thing in the morning to see if there is any improvement.

Unfortunately Flint has only nibbled a bit of green for tea, I knew he wouldn't eat properly without Fern. I shall leave him a bit longer to see if he eats a bit more on his own before I intervene.

Back