• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SOS - emergency - hyperventilating bunny/UD bunny doing better!

Sandra

Warren Scout
Oh dear - I just found my one year old rex girl laying in her cage hyperventilating - she is laying completely streched out, eyes almost closed and her heart is racing... her body is shaking from the heavy breathing! :cry:

She ate an hour ago with good apetite - what could this be? Please help?!??

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I have never heard if this? Is she hot at all? Has something frightened her? Could she be having some sort of panic attack? I am not sure if bunnies have those. Bless her. Healing vibes coming your way.

Don't know but hopefully someone will come along soon who can help...

Have you got access to an emergency vet?

she is not hot - not hot in the apartment (live in Iceland...). Not scared - nothing new has happened... no change whatsoever...

Ohh I really dont know what to do!:cry::cry::cry:

oh no :( poor bun. can you call an emergency vet? poor mite to go from fine to this so quick, i'm sending vibes xx

Just to say I've linked this thread to general chat to see if anyone there can help.

I'm sorry I don't really know what to advise other than trying to help calm her down - does she like being stroked? Sounds silly but maybe it'll soothe her a little? Can you see anything stuck in her mouth?

Vic x

Called emergency vet who told us to check her temperature - while doing so bunny suddently came to life!!!

So jumped up and is now acting like normal (eating, cleaning herself)!?!

Om my god she scared me!!! I really thought I was going to loose her:shock:

She was laying down, shaking and panting 10 min ago... then she got up and acted normal.. now she is back to laying down (although breathing more normal...). Not sure what is going on...

Will spend night with her.

Any idea what could have cause this?

in that link i put in, someones rabbit had a shock after a bookcase fell down or something and sounded in a similar state to your bun, maybe she had a fright?

are her ears hot? if they are, try and cool her down. i'd suggest a vet check up as soon as you can to check her over and make sure it's not underlying thing. keep an eye on her food and water intake aswell as her poops and pees.

hope she's okay x

It does sound like she's had a fright of some sort. Glad she's come round now, good idea to stay with her tonight I think. That must've been so scary to see! Let us know how she is in the morning.

Vic x

No open emergency vets to go to here in Iceland... only vet that comes to your house (and they rarely have rabbit apropriate stuff with them..). Just spoke to on call vet though - will supervise her for half an hour and then see what happens.

No open emergency vets to go to here in Iceland... only vet that comes to your house (and they rarely have rabbit apropriate stuff with them..). Just spoke to on call vet though - will supervise her for half an hour and then see what happens.

Sorry, forgot you were in Iceland! Lots of vibes on their way- let us know how she gets on. Maybe she's in shock?

Vic x

My best guess so far is that she really did have a heat stroke:?

I have cooled her now - and she seems better. It is far from warm in our apartment but it could have been excitement (she get's really excited when we come home... and we came home a bit later than usual today).

I hope my baby gets better now:roll:

Back