Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

Hi Guys,
    Hope you can advise please. Last night cat found a bunny (domestic but still only 8 weeks old i guess) in the garden, it was sopping wet and bleeding.
    Wounds look superficial, and i have nursed it through the night and today it has eaten a bit although not moving well.

I have my suspicions that it belongs to someonw in the street who is not known for taking care of animals, given that the suspected owner has made no effort to track little bunny (apparantly they have a garden full at the moment), I am very reluctant to take little injured bunny back as I think it should go to the vets, which i would be happy to do and then take it in, but I dont think i should given that i think i know who the owners are.....

any ideas please?

Close your mind off, you only *think* you know who they are. Forget that thought and pop the little one to the vet and then see if you can find him a proper home... thats what i would do anyway - good luck x

Warren Scout

Yeah, I am no expert but I would say take the bunny to the vet (might be chipped) and then keep an eye for "missing rabbit" announcements.

Honestly I would go and have a word with who do you think that own the rabbit. Might give you an opportunity to see how things are there anyway. And based on that call RSPCA or not.

I would never keep a found pet as losing a pet is so sad and worrying

I know it is thanks, these people are not the most friendly... if you know what i mean. I reckon i'm in the wrong what ever i do...

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Kirst View Post
    I know it is thanks, these people are not the most friendly... if you know what i mean. I reckon i'm in the wrong what ever i do...
    Oh I am sorry you feel that way.

If you don't think it is safe just wait for "missing rabbit" announcements or something and if nothing comes up find the bunny a good home (if you can).

I think it is great you took the bunny in for now and give him a chance.

I hope you'll find a happy solution soon. It is difficult I know.

I hope someone else with more experince can offer more advice

Wise Old Thumper

Would you be able to/want to keep the bunny? If so, take him to the vets, get him better and never mention it to the people you suspect might own him.

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

Warren Veteran

well personally i would take bun to vet and egt him better then if any posters or people had come knocking or announcments were made i would try and get him back to his original home(it may well not be the one you think. also put an ad up in the vets and see if anyone comes to claim him that way you have done your obligation to not let him suffer and "tried" to find the owner. if i had lost a bun i would be knocking on the nieghbours first to check so if they havent even done that or put up posters it "cant" be theres.

I've just taken in a stray after being contacted by it's finder this morning. They have held him since Monday and after trying to find the owner nothing has emerged.

I personally believe he has been dumped, 'tis the season after all.

Anyway usually when I take a stray in I list them with the local RSPCA along with my contact number for 7 days. If no-one comes forward in that time then I get them ready for rehoming.

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Warren Veteran

What about asking the people if they had a bunny missing because you'd seen one loose in the garden but say it hopped off before you caught it? If it's not theirs then it won't look suspicious if you advertise it as found (can say it came back) - if they say they have then it's up to you to decide if you should return it or just feign ignorance

This might be the best idea. If it IS theirs and they don't want it, they can just say it isn't theirs and your conscience will be clear. Then if you advertise it as a stray bun, you won't have to worry about them coming to claim it as they obviously don't want it anyways. If they are known for not looking after their animals, I would also make sure that I let them know that the bunny that I saw was injured and would require veterinary treatment.....that way you KNOW they aren't going to want him back!

I am the same......if MY bunny went missing, I would be hounding the entire neighbourhood, knocking on doors, hanging posters, contacting all the local vets and the police, everything. I would NOT leave it to chance that either he would just return on his own, or that someone would find him and auromatically KNOW where he came from!