Thread: Shaving a rabbits bottom

Default Shaving a rabbits bottom

Alright, so I've taken Charm to the local vets three times now for them to shave his bottom with no success, they just wash him and send him back. Well I can and do wash him myself thank you, but they never shave his bottom, and as Charm has no front teeth and actually enjoys laying in his litter tray he gets dirty. Quickly.

So I rang up the vet I've grown up using, but they only do that during the week, when I can't beg a lift over there from my dad, nor reasonably get there on public transport because of work.

So that's left me very few options, I don't know another local vet and after all the vets I've tried I'm somewhat reluctant to try a new one anyway. So I've thought about it and am actually pretty sure that I can do this myself. Only I'm nervous understandably as I've never trimmed fur before. I've done teeth and claws, but never fur.

So I was looking for some advice?
    Should I go ahead and cut his fur myself or just leave it and continue giving him weekly showers till I can find somewhere that I can get to to do this. (If it was an emergency I'd pull a 36 hour day easily, but I'm reluctant to do that for a haircut)
    What should I use to do this if I do try. My dad said something about an actual shaver like the one he uses for his head, but another friend said lunt scissors like what she used forr her guinae pig.

Ive used one of those shavers before......but only on my boyfriends head who kept very still..........I guess it depends on who well behaved your bunny is when you trance him which you'd need to do to shave him......I think its quite hard to cut yourself with the razors but not impossible.

Rabbits in rescue need your help www.fatfluffs.com
    Adopt, foster, donate, sponsor, volunteer

Warren Veteran

When you say dirty bottom, is it wetness or actual poos that are sticking to him?

I've got 2 front toothless bunnies and they also like laying in their litter trays yet have spotlessly clean butts so I'm not sure that having no front teeth is the issue.

Good luck
    Jill

can you not find someone who does pet grooming? finding a bunny experienced one maybe hard but not impossible - i know a lady who grooms minstrel for me and i'm sure she could shave if necessary

Wise Old Thumper

I use nail scissors to trim fur on bums. Be careful though because it's very easy to accidentally nick the skin without realising...rabbits have very thin skin.

Mama Doe

Problem is with shavers is that they can pull and nick the skin.

Get you not get some blunt ended vet scissors and just trim the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Problem is with shavers is that they can pull and nick the skin.

Get you not get some blunt ended vet scissors and just trim the area?
    No you don't want a scissor. It can accidentally cut the skin if you do it wrong. I done it once by accident. As their skin is very thin.

Shaver is the choice that vet uses. The brand you want is Wella or Osyter.
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

Alright so I tried a shaver. Gosh that bunny loves shavers. He kept licking my sisters arm :P But the shaver we're using doesn't seem to like the amount of fur, so I was thinking, maybe cut it short with scissors before shaving?