• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies and sweet potato

bramblewillow

Warren Scout
really silly question but one of my rabbits loves the peelings from sweet potatos the other one hates them

are they allowed to eat them - only has them very very occasionally

Hello,One of my bunnies used to love sweet potato and it did him no harm.My other bunnies hate it.

hebe bush

hi all
im a newbie on this forum but i am very impressed with it its full of helpfull info
and its obvious your all mad about your rabbits
i have two adult females which i found after they had been dumped
i like to give them free reign of the back garden but as the grass is now eaten within an inchj of its life
i have started to let them have the run of the side garden as well
the thing is they eat everything in sight including my hebe bush it doesnt seem to have any adverse effects so far but im worried it might if they persist in eating it plesd advise
thanx in advance
hazham

Hi Hazam,Good for you for rescuing the bunnies.Ive just looked in my poisonous plant book and hebe isnt in there.So I guess its fine to let them eat it.

that sounds like a handy book, whats its title?

We use to give Bunnie a piece of sweet potato about once or twice a week but not the peelings.

We stopped giving it to her because it is high in starch and some buns can get a dicky tummy from it which Bunnie did, she kept not eating her cecals and thus was getting a messy bum!

I can't find it at the mo' cause I'm at work, but the House Rabbit Society lists sweet potatoes as something not to feed. I've been told by a vet that it's ok when cooked although it is very sugary, but raw sweet potatoes have something in them that isn't good for rabbits.

Hi,The book Is called,Poisonous plants and fungi.Its a ministry of agriculture fisheries and food,MAFF,book.Its written by,Marion R.cooper and Anthony W Johnson.

Back