Thread: bunnies and sweet potato

Default bunnies and sweet potato

really silly question but one of my rabbits loves the peelings from sweet potatos the other one hates them

are they allowed to eat them - only has them very very occasionally

Hello,One of my bunnies used to love sweet potato and it did him no harm.My other bunnies hate it.

thanks for that

the one who does eat, likes most things except those corn kernels in his food

New Kit

Default hebe bush

hi all
    im a newbie on this forum but i am very impressed with it its full of helpfull info
    and its obvious your all mad about your rabbits
    i have two adult females which i found after they had been dumped
    i like to give them free reign of the back garden but as the grass is now eaten within an inchj of its life
    i have started to let them have the run of the side garden as well
    the thing is they eat everything in sight including my hebe bush it doesnt seem to have any adverse effects so far but im worried it might if they persist in eating it plesd advise
    thanx in advance
    hazham

Hi Hazam,Good for you for rescuing the bunnies.Ive just looked in my poisonous plant book and hebe isnt in there.So I guess its fine to let them eat it.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Maizey View Post
    Hi Hazam,Good for you for rescuing the bunnies.Ive just looked in my poisonous plant book and hebe isnt in there.So I guess its fine to let them eat it.
    that sounds like a handy book, whats its title?
    Poppy, Guiness, Briony and Sorrel, I think of you every day.

"The degree of loss experienced is proportionate to the investment of the heart".

Quote Originally Posted by clutterydrawer View Post
    that sounds like a handy book, whats its title?

We use to give Bunnie a piece of sweet potato about once or twice a week but not the peelings.

We stopped giving it to her because it is high in starch and some buns can get a dicky tummy from it which Bunnie did, she kept not eating her cecals and thus was getting a messy bum!

Binky free at the bridge Bunnie, I will always be with you my baby girl xxx Bunnie 15/08/05 - 03/05/09

"My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today" - Watership down.

my bunny like his own pooh way too much not to eat it!!

very rarely has sweet potato just once a month or so

I can't find it at the mo' cause I'm at work, but the House Rabbit Society lists sweet potatoes as something not to feed. I've been told by a vet that it's ok when cooked although it is very sugary, but raw sweet potatoes have something in them that isn't good for rabbits.

Hi,The book Is called,Poisonous plants and fungi.Its a ministry of agriculture fisheries and food,MAFF,book.Its written by,Marion R.cooper and Anthony W Johnson.