Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megacolon/cowpile syndrome re:sausage poo thread

Default Megacolon/cowpile syndrome re:sausage poo thread

I searched on the net and so far all I could find was a passage from a book called "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century" but I couldn't copy and paste it because it was a PDF.

Here is the link to the page (pg 46) - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3...hl=en#PPA46,M1

I'll keep looking, but if anyone else has anymore info please post on here, particularly regarding extra susceptability to flystrike.

Thankyou!
    Mum to: Gladys Emmanuel my big gentle lady, Nigel my grumpy boy, Dougal my cuddlebun, Doris the world's greatest digger, Colin the Cornish Rex and Hamish the Hamster. - Bereft of Bunnies but Forever in my Heart <3 xx

Wise Old Thumper

I did have lots of stuff on megcolon stored on my old PC, but forgot to transfer it over when I got a new one

There's this from medirabbit:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise.../megacolon.pdf

I've heard that albino rabbits can also be affected if they carry the spotted gene.

Medirabbit also has a list of differential diagnosis for the condition:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise...fferential.htm

Wise Old Thumper

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise...fferential.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...?dopt=Abstract

From 'Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine' :

Whilst the caecum is the usual site of impactation, megacolon, a condition where the colon is full of chronically accumulated faeces in large clumps, has been reported.

The cause of this condition is not known, but it may affect white Rabbits with dark ears and spots disproportionately commonly

This megacolon syndrome, described in homozygous spotted Rabbits, results in caecal obstipation, but there is uncertainty whether this is a true dysautonomia.

Dysautonomia- Similar to grass sickness in horses. Other autonomic signs eg mydriasis, reduced tear production and salivation. Diagnosed at histopathology after Post Mortem.

Janex
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Thank you so much for this info guys...ive been searching too but its so hard to find any decent information. Earl is obviously that colouring and his poo's have been covered in mucous since he arrived. Hes also underweight and often produces this runny stuff too. Weve been so concerned but the vet cant find any problems at all...this is definitely something to consider seriously and talk to him about

Ill post if i find anything

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiandScottandbuns View Post
    Thank you so much for this info guys...ive been searching too but its so hard to find any decent information. Earl is obviously that colouring and his poo's have been covered in mucous since he arrived. Hes also underweight and often produces this runny stuff too. Weve been so concerned but the vet cant find any problems at all...this is definitely something to consider seriously and talk to him about

Ill post if i find anything
    Harry responded well to SALAZOPYRIN at a dose of 10-15mg/kg twice daily. He too had symptoms similar to what Earl's sound like

Janex
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

I'm so worried. What I thought was a slow gut caused by a bout of stasis is this disease it seems. I always knew Dougal had a funny digestion and he gets tummy aches, I keep a close eye to make sure he doesn't go into stasis, I catch it before it does. *touch wood*
    I guess that's one of the problems with rescue buns, you can't know their histories

But now with summer coming and him doing these sticky poos I worry he's at greater risk from fly strike. The huge poos are ok, but he does really sloppy ones too.

I wonder how many other people on this forum have buns that fit this description......

Mum to: Gladys Emmanuel my big gentle lady, Nigel my grumpy boy, Dougal my cuddlebun, Doris the world's greatest digger, Colin the Cornish Rex and Hamish the Hamster. - Bereft of Bunnies but Forever in my Heart <3 xx

Oh Siona, im so sorry about Dougal My thoughts are with him, i do hope him and Earl will be ok...I wonder how many others there are too...Id never heard of this before until a few days ago, i bet others havent either

It makes me angry bunnies of this colouration are still being produced to be totally honest

Dougals a little beauty btw
    Last edited by MaxiandScottandbuns; 21-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Harry responded well to SALAZOPYRIN at a dose of 10-15mg/kg twice daily. He too had symptoms similar to what Earl's sound like

Janex

Thanx Jane, ill bring it up at the vets

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post

Janex
    Thanks for that, I'll bring it up with my vet too.

Maxi, I hope Earl will be ok too, it's hard to know what treatments are available when there are so few bits of info.

Earl is very bad today Its so difficult to know what to do...he is the most perfect house bunny ever, much better behaved indoors than our other buns...but these poo's, theyre everywhere, and theres runny diarrhoea everywhere which smells and its just not hygienic I refuse to put him outside though (i really want to keep a cloe eye on him as much as possible) but its very difficult to live with at the moment...guess i just needed to vent and check no-one has anymore info at all...I really hope we can fix this so its more manageable...poor, poor fellow