Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lapizole vs Panacur

Bobbin had his first does of Lapizole on carrot last night, thankfully he ate it all like a very good boy!

The Lapizole leaflet I have says nothing about subsequent yearly or 6 monthly courses. All it says is to give a rabbit the 28 days course once and then again before meeting or breeding with other rabbits.

I believe it really is only a one off treatment unless they mix with other rabbits at which point all buns in question should complete the 28 day course.

I think I will be writing to the manufacture though just to be sure

The Panacur leaflet says they recommend 2-4 9 day courses a year. I'm unsure how Lapizole only needs one 28 day course and Panacur needs to be repeated if the active ingredient in both is the same

Purely because no-one can actually agree on whether regular courses of the active ingredient are beneficial - Panacur and Lapizole are the same, honestly.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Ruby and Amber guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    Purely because no-one can actually agree on whether regular courses of the active ingredient are beneficial - Panacur and Lapizole are the same, honestly.
    Why is there such a difference in price if they are the same?

Both product leaflets say that the dosage is 20 mg per kg of bodyweight, and the active ingredient is exactly the same.

When I first mentioned Panacur Rabbit to my vet (a year ago now, before the bunnies were even diagnosed with EC), he said Panacur Rabbit was being marketed as something completely different (ie a wormer) to what it was really for (ie treatment for EC). His view was that it was a case of canny marketing. Lapizole doesn't appear to be being marketed in the same way.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    Both product leaflets say that the dosage is 20 mg per kg of bodyweight, and the active ingredient is exactly the same.

When I first mentioned Panacur Rabbit to my vet (a year ago now, before the bunnies were even diagnosed with EC), he said Panacur Rabbit was being marketed as something completely different (ie a wormer) to what it was really for (ie treatment for EC). His view was that it was a case of canny marketing. Lapizole doesn't appear to be being marketed in the same way.
    Panacur is a wormer as well, its used for treating pinworms (which I've had to do once) so I guess thats why its initially marketed as a wormer, plus I think 'most' people are familiar with worming cats and dogs.

Yes, but in theory you could also use Lapizole as a wormer.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx

Heres a reply one of my customers sent me from a vet here in Sheffield.
    Hi Molly
    I suspect the owner of the boarding kennel is referring to the risk of a parasite called E.Cuniculi. It is present in approximately 50% of domestic (not wild) rabbits. It is a small protozoan parasite that is typically spread from mum to babies or via urine- such as rabbits mixing on the same area of grass or run- eating grass that could have previously had urine on it from an infected rabbit.
    The only way to effectively treat or prevent E.Cuniculi is a 28 day course of an oral aniseed flavoured liquid called Lapizole. It only needs to ever be done once unless your rabbit is due to mix with new rabbits at any stage again in the future- in which case it should be done each time.
    A bottle of lapizole is around £19 and has sufficient in it to treat a 3kg rabbit for the full course. Its easy to give- they love the taste.
    My recommendation is to do this treatment course when your bunny gets home from the kennels and then you can be certain that even if she did pick it up, she wouldn't develop any disease and would be cleared of the parasite. Of course, she may be the one taking the parasite in to the kennels as she may have already have it in her system from her mum. Symptoms may never appear but they can include head tilt, kidney failure, bladder infections, incontinence, weakness and paralysis. Treatment once they have symptoms often is too late.
    Let us know if you would like some further info or to order a bottle of lapizole.
    Kind regards
    Caroline Munroe

Caroline Munroe
    Millhouses Vets4Pets Ltd
    964 Abbeydale Road
    Sheffield
    S7 2QF

0114 236 4070(T)
    0114 236 9040(F)

you can buy online cheaper!!! Thats what i do for my rabbits
    Do you need small animal boarding while on holiday? why not contact
    Waggytails on [url]www.waggytails-site.co.uk or call us on 07990 90 3773 or 0114 2550 308 leave a message i will get back to you !

Quote Originally Posted by waggytailstina View Post
    Heres a reply one of my customers sent me from a vet here in Sheffield.
    Hi Molly
    I suspect the owner of the boarding kennel is referring to the risk of a parasite called E.Cuniculi. It is present in approximately 50% of domestic (not wild) rabbits. It is a small protozoan parasite that is typically spread from mum to babies or via urine- such as rabbits mixing on the same area of grass or run- eating grass that could have previously had urine on it from an infected rabbit.
    The only way to effectively treat or prevent E.Cuniculi is a 28 day course of an oral aniseed flavoured liquid called Lapizole. It only needs to ever be done once unless your rabbit is due to mix with new rabbits at any stage again in the future- in which case it should be done each time.
    A bottle of lapizole is around £19 and has sufficient in it to treat a 3kg rabbit for the full course. Its easy to give- they love the taste.
    My recommendation is to do this treatment course when your bunny gets home from the kennels and then you can be certain that even if she did pick it up, she wouldn't develop any disease and would be cleared of the parasite. Of course, she may be the one taking the parasite in to the kennels as she may have already have it in her system from her mum. Symptoms may never appear but they can include head tilt, kidney failure, bladder infections, incontinence, weakness and paralysis. Treatment once they have symptoms often is too late.
    Let us know if you would like some further info or to order a bottle of lapizole.
    Kind regards
    Caroline Munroe

Caroline Munroe
    Millhouses Vets4Pets Ltd
    964 Abbeydale Road
    Sheffield
    S7 2QF

0114 236 4070(T)
    0114 236 9040(F)

you can buy online cheaper!!! Thats what i do for my rabbits
    that's interesting. i panacurred my little monster for the first time a month ago for 9 days. i like the idea of a one off 28 day treatment. i wonder if i would be able to do it when the next course of panacur is due? so i do 28 days of lapizole instead of 9 of panacur...

Im getting quite incensed by this thread actually.

I cannot make this any clearer LAPIZOLE and PANACUR RABBIT are essentially the same thing with the same concentration of active ingrediant. Only the additives are different and they have no effect at all on EC.

28 days is NOT a long enough course for Panacur incase of EC....the manufacturers will confirm this. I see no reason why 28 days would therefor be sufficient in Lapizole.

The two drugs have been marketed differently....Panacur have cornered the market as a traditional wormer and Lapizole as a treatment for EC.

However they both have IDENTICAL properties and therefor should be used in the same way when treating for active EC.....with a minimum 6 week course.

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Thanks Sooz - I keep trying to say the same thing. You said it better though!
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx