• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

big hutch for 1 rabbit

Ivorboub02

New Kit
first post yay ^.^

well i wanted to ask about this hutch i might be getting for my rabbit
(we have 9 bunnies but only 1 is mine :D)

well we go to Pets at Home for our hutchs and when i got Ivory she was quite small so a Heather Hideaway was plenty for her.
but she has got so big that she really badly needs a new one,

but for some reason i cannot think of Pets at Home have now stopped making the camomile cottage hutch(currently have 3) we even went to 3 different shops and none had it.

and so the next biggest one "Thistle Hall" is £50 more and its massive for just her, i was wondering should i just spoil her and let her have it all to herself or should i put another rabbit in with her?

oh its a 2 tier hutch we were thinking of blocking off the step so its like 2 hutches, its that big it could house 2 rabbits :D

Sadly the hutches you mention are now considered too small to keep rabbits in.
The thistle hall is fine and would be ok for 2 small rabbits such as nethies..but I wouldn't section it on purpose...
ideally a bun should have a space of 5 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet as a minimum for a permanent home..
so how about a Lavender lodge for her..I think that is 5 ft??:?

I beleive under the new Animal Welfare bill the RWA recommend a hutch size no less than 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.
Try Happy Hutch you can get one that size with a run attached for a reasonable price

Sadly the hutches you mention are now considered too small to keep rabbits in.
The thistle hall is fine and would be ok for 2 small rabbits such as nethies..but I wouldn't section it on purpose...
ideally a bun should have a space of 5 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet as a minimum for a permanent home..
so how about a Lavender lodge for her..I think that is 5 ft??:?

yeh i have that hutch and its lovely and big :D only one i would class as suitable from PAH tho

so if i got the thistle hall just for her would it be ok? (keeping it just as the 1 big hutch)
and is that why the camomile cottage is not being sold anymore because its too small now

Last edited:
so if i got the thistle hall just for her would it be ok?
and is that why the camomile cottage is not being sold anymore because its too small now

the Lavendar Lodge is cheaper than the thistle hall but bigger. because of the ramp in the thistle hall and the fact it isnt very deep, there isnt much room for bunnies to stretch out. So the LL is bigger and cheaper :D

yeah i suppose i'll have to talk it over with the others before we go and buy anything
we might end up ordering from that site :D hutch+run combo would be best

yeah i'd like to get a hutch+run combo but its raining all the time so she'd never get to go in the run
thats why its never been an option

I think that access to a run should be available all the time whether it's raining or not. Mine go out whatever the weather as long as there is a covered area for them.

I think that access to a run should be available all the time whether it's raining or not. Mine go out whatever the weather as long as there is a covered area for them.

Mine too- but they have got wise to go into the playhouse if its raining, because if they don't the dreaded towel comes out:lol:

Rabbits dont care if its raining or not, ive had buns that have just sat for hours in the rain, playing about. It dosent bother them.

m
xx

A cheaper way to make the run waterproof is to fix thick polythene onto the roof and sides. We buy ours from a rope and sail shop and is only a pound or two per metre of it. Its very thick, waterproof and ours has lasted a long time! It would work out cheaper than buying an actual cover :D This means they can sit out in the run all day and night if they wish and are protected from the wind and rain. They are always bone dry no matter what the weather - and as its transparent you can still see them all the time through it :D

Back