• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

food dropping out of mouth

**leanne**

Warren Scout
I'm a newbie on here and not very good with computers so I hope I get this right. I took my rabbit to vets on Mon to have back teeeth done - its a rabbit savy vet so he didn't need to go under. since he's been back he's been unable to eat hard food although he wants to it keeps falling out of his mouth - he's eating green leaves and kale that i make into small pieces but he isn't chewing these like normal either. He's still weeing and pooing. I did take him back yesterday where they checked him and said everything looked normal and that he's prob a bit sore. They gave me some mushy food to make up and syringe feed him incase he stops eating greens. I'll def take him back tomorrow morn if he's not eating solids by then but does anyone have any ideas how i can try and tempt him or what else I can give him til then? Sorry for the long post too - I'm just very worried as he loves his food always.:cry:

Leanne

Welcome to the forum :D:wave:

I would phone and ask for some pain relief for him. If his mouth is sore it's hard to eat even if he wants to and go back to the vet if you are worried.

Sounds like you have done everything right - and brilliant that you have a rabbit savvy vet.

Hope he eats soon,

Maria x

you could try mushing up some pellets with water or a little apple juice or grate/puree some of the veg he normaly eats. That may temp him, but also see if you can get the vet to prescribe some pain meds.

Thank you for your replies and for welcoming me:wave: I'm glad to say he's eaten a little of his museli type food I used to give him so that's a start, i'll keep monitoring him all day to see how he goes. Even though his mouth is sore he's still tipped all his bowls over so I now have grass, pellets, museli and mashed bits of food all over my carpet:roll:

Back