• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Rabbits Cough?

yes! charlie was ill when he was younger and would cough and sneeze.

i knwo he was ill but it was the CUTEST thing i had ever seen :love: :oops:

Yeah they can, once Fidget had a coughing fit, a piece of SS gone down the wrong way I think. It was scary, it went on for ages and she was dribbling, coughing and breathing really fast. Then she suddenly stopped and started eating hay as if nothing had happened :roll::lol:.

Ithought she hiccoughed last night, well her tummy sometimes twitches like she gives a little cough, or a hiccough.

Worried as she has been on anti biotics

sorry I posted this in general at first like an idiot!

Generally Rabbits have a poor cough reflex and what appears to be a cough is usually a sneeze!! A true cough involves the Bun opening their mouth. Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and only mouth breathe when in severe respiratory distress.
Why is your Bun on abx ?

Janex :)

Was on them until Monday for sneezies/snot. No more sneezing at all from her bun hubby.

OH in half panic mode I think.

Generally Rabbits have a poor cough reflex and what appears to be a cough is usually a sneeze!! A true cough involves the Bun opening their mouth. Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and only mouth breathe when in severe respiratory distress.
Why is your Bun on abx ?

Janex :)

Yes, we knew it was time for Charlie to go when she started truly coughing with her mouth open:( It was everso sad to see and we took her straight to the vets. Usually theyre sneezes that sound like coughs

Oh im so sorry:( I should have explained...our old girl was very very ill and had all kinds of symptoms going on, and these coughs were loud and harsh and she was obviously distressed. Im sure they can make softer sounds without being in distress. So sorry, hope your bun is ok

Thank you! I think its the last remnants of her sneeziness.

I am at work its the OH at home that says he has been watching her too much and is now obsessed

Back