Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for dealing with a bereaved bunny?

Default Any tips for dealing with a bereaved bunny?

I've never dealt with this before, as these were my first bunnies.

Dusty is doing a lot of sniffing and looking for Clover. I have a soft toy on order for her, but it hasn't come today. ()

I don't know if I should start trying to wash things to stop so much smelling of Clover (blankets etc), or keep them as long as possible as a comfort?

Any tips (however basic) would be gratefully received. Thanks.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Hi Sarah,

As you know I'm going through the same thing with Tinkerbell since Simba passed.

The first day or so Tinkerbell was very quiet and didn't eat a lot. I went outside and got up a few Simba poos that were on the lawn but didn't know if it was better to do that or leave them. I'm sure the hutch and run must still smell somewhat of Simba, as they never toiletted in the bed so it hasn't been changed since Simba went.

Hard to know what to do for the best isn't it? Have you got another cuddly you could put in there as a temporary measure? I've noticed that Tinkerbell tends to go and sit by her cuddly toy as soon as she is locked away at night.

Are you able to get her another friend ? That is probably the best way for her to get over her loss. Also, lots of cuddles and yummy food to take her mind off it. Is she eating ok ? is she a house bunny ? if so you could try rearranging things where she lives.

Sorry for the loss of your other bun

Warren Veteran

This is absolutely one of the hardest things ever. Personally, I leave them to grieve (by leave them I dont mean actually leave them, but dont try to speed up/stop them grieving). I know buns are different but if your husband dies, you dont go out the next day & find another one, thats how I see it. She'll come through this hun X

Mama Doe

Awwww, it is heartbreaking to watch and sorry to hear about Clover. I went through exactly the same thing with Dillon when Pippa died. A teddy never worked for Dillon but I just tried to spend as much time with him as possible (even more than normal). I also started to look for a new wife for him quite soon after and got Connie within the month and now Dillon is back to his normal self so highly recommend it.

Sending lots of hugs your way

Oh thats so sad. I have never had to deal with this but I wondered whether putting something in there that smelled of you would help??

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, forgot to say that she is a house bun, so getting lots of attention from me and not lonely in the garden.

I can't get her another friend unless she really can't cope, I just can't. To be honest, I don't think Dusty has long left herself (has the same condition as her sister), and this has just been way too hard.

Yes, makes sense to let her find her own way. I mustn't try to rush things....
    Sarah.

Bruno hamster

Was Dusty able to spend time with Clover once she had passed away?
    Last night I left Freya's little body with Fred for several hours until he moved away from her. I think it helps *some* Rabbits accept that their friend ( or in Fred's case his Mum ) have gone.

I also find that a change of environment helps. Fred has been moved to a different pen in a 'busy' part of the house. He has really perked up and has even started to throw some toys about

I think with Bunnies there is no 'one size fits all' when helping them through a bereavement. I do try to keep to the same routine with my Buns every single day regardless of what happens. That routine seems to help them feel secure during 'difficult' times.

Janex

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Becki xX View Post
    This is absolutely one of the hardest things ever. Personally, I leave them to grieve (by leave them I dont mean actually leave them, but dont try to speed up/stop them grieving). I know buns are different but if your husband dies, you dont go out the next day & find another one, thats how I see it. She'll come through this hun X
    It's not the same for animals as it is for humans IMO.

Sarah I don't know whether others would agree, but I personally would change things around, so she does not associate her surroundings with the loss of Clover. And give her lots of attention.

Hope you are ok x

Unfortunately, because they are mostly free range and don't have a cage as such, everywhere smells of Clover! The main 'hang out' is under a small table, and a cardboard box. I need to find a nice new box for her....

She wasn't able to spend time with Clover, as I couldn't risk taking Dusty to the vets too (she gets incredibly stressed, and I've known it bring on a stasis attack - couldn't cope with that on top, or put her through that). I put Clover's empty carrier on the floor for her when I got back, so she could see she was no longer in it, but that's all I could really do.
    Sarah.

Bruno hamster