• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what should i do, rabbit ate onion :(

jasonbunny

Warren Scout
yes it was my fault, i didnt realise a small onion had fallen out of the bag when i was cooking earlier and rolled under the table. I just heard jason in the kitchen crunching. The onion is about the size of a ping pong ball and i would say he has ate a quarter of it. I have read that onion can be very dangerous for rabbits, what should i do? I feel awful, i didnt spot it :(

advice please anyone :( all i can find is that it can be posionous for them not what to do if they manage to eat some. i am really worried.

I'm not quite sure what to suggest! I suspect it is like most things, it will be toxic to some buns and not to others. I would keep an eye on him for any adverse reactions he might have to the onion. Make him drink as much as possible and give him some greens to try and encourage things to keep moving. Any signs of GI problems, lethargy, fitting etc get him to a vet. I'm sure he will be fine. Make sure he has plenty of hay!

since i took it off him, he went straight to his hay and has been eating that, then had some water. Thanks for replying, i feel dreadful that he managed to even get hold of one, but he has never shown any interest in going in the kitchen (its a lino floor) so i didnt even realise :( i hope he will be okay. My vet is an open clinic, so i can take him down any time tomorrow if he shows a reaction.

Also, get in touch with a 24 hour veterinary clinic, doesn't matter which one and just ask someone on call for advice. They won't charge you for it and it will put your mind at rest!

thanks i phoned the out of hours and the vet said that it may result in the rabbit having the runs, so to keep a close eye on him and if he seems unwell to phone them back or if tomorrow go to my own vet.

he is eating lots of hay, which isnt actually like him, he hasnt left it in the twenty mins since i took the onion off him. I hope thats a good thing.

WHy is onion poisonous? It's a vegetable for human, we eat them daily. In fact, didn' those alt. medicine book say onion kill bacteria?

WHy is onion poisonous? It's a vegetable for human, we eat them daily. In fact, didn' those alt. medicine book say onion kill bacteria?

In my post I put a link to a list of plants poisonous to rabbits - onion is not one of them, but to my astonishment PARSNIP is :shock:

Just because human metabolism can manage something doesn't mean an animals metabolism can do the same - onions and raisins kill some dogs for example :shock:

ANY unaccustomed veg/fruit can give a rabbit wind or the runs, as they have a delicate digestion, so that's the hazzard with new foods, even non-poisonous ones.

i had read it can cause reactions in some rabits but not others, thankfully jason seems to be an 'others' as he has had normal poo's over night and is eating well, very alert. Thank god for that, i will be extra careful from now on!

My toddler got sickness and the runs instead...oh the joys!

Nigel stole a huge leek from the veg cupboard once and ate the lot. I don't even know how he got the door open but he did. I only realised when I woke up to the smell of onion coming from under the bed, it was his breath! :shock:
He was totally fine, not even the runs after eating a huge amount like that.

I guess it's down to each rabbit's constitution. I'm lucky, mine all eat Excel and the occasional bowl of mix, any veg they fancy and leaves from the garden without ever *touch wood* getting any tummy problems (apart from Dougal's slightly slow gut, but he had that when we got him)
If your bunny is sensitive then I suppose onion or other hard to digest foods will cause problems. :)

onions are usually considered bad because they can cause anaphalactic (?) shock in some rabbits. If he ate it a few hours ago with no reaction he should be fine.

I caught Luna eating some onion once which had fallen on the floor from our dinner plates. It was red onion and shed had quite a bit, i was everso worried, but she was totally fine. Glad to hear your bun is ok:wave:

:thanks and I had no idea bunnies could be so mischievous! I no longer thnk the onion fell out on the floor, i think jason somehow got the cupboard door open, it is quite loose! This is because i caught him sneaking out of the kitchen with a big potato in his mouth which he could have only got from in the veg cupboard! I have fitted it with a clip now, that stops it opening unless you release it. I always thought i would have to fit the clips for my toddlers nor for my rabbit :lol:he idnt eat any of the potato because i caught him. I think i can safely say he has DEFINATELY settled in here :lol:

:oops: our first ever house bunny was a terror...my daughter was eating her dinner as teenagers do on her lap in her beanbag chair......and she had battered onion rings along side her dinner.......kibles may she rest inpeace jumped up in mid air..snatched the onion ring off her fork as she was about to put in her mouth and ran behind the bed sette and devoured the whole ring..no ill efects at all!!!!
mind you she was a holy terror.stole half a sausage with ketchup on it another time..and half a bag of cheese and onion crisps the little bpy next door had left on the floor under the coffee table and we didnt realise till we heard crunching and rea;ised all 3 cats were in the lounge.....yup bunny munching crisps to herself..and boy did she growl at me for taking them away...

i used to panic but after a while realise you and your vet cannot do anymore than monitor them after ingesting something they shouldnt...mind you my old vet went ballistic when we realised shed been scoffing the cat biscuits!! and even tried some tuna felix...ewwwww...well we had her as a baby and she grew up with 3 cats..who were getting on..but she was convinced she was a cat..my cat was so nervous we were convinced she was a rabbit in a cats body!

i sometimes wonder are they cousins of goats with the things i have heard some peoples bunny consume with no ill effects:lol::lol:

:lol::lol: well jason seems fine! sound slike his could be just the beginning then! LOL at the onion ring, iwoud do the same, i love them!

hiya,

Molly ate anm ivy leaf on saturday and in all the books it states that ivy is HIGHLY toxic which caused me to nearly make myself sick with worry! I rang the emergency vet and because usually with cats and dogs they induce vomiting to bring the poison back up, rabbits can't vomit so there isn't a lot they can do. The advice I had was :

Keep a very close eye on poops, wee, drink intake and food. Give plenty of hay and offer him so veg so that it can dilute the toxins. IF there is any change in the above take him to the vets so that they can treat accordingly. As long as there is plenty of hay to push it along it should be ok. I think it depends also on the amount eaten, molly ate the size of a 50p so it wasn't that bad. Having said that I watched him like a hawk for 24 hours bless him he didn't know what was going on!

Hope bunny is ok, don't worry too much. They can be such pigs sometimes and eat anything! :roll:

Back