Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should i do, rabbit ate onion :(

Default what should i do, rabbit ate onion :(

yes it was my fault, i didnt realise a small onion had fallen out of the bag when i was cooking earlier and rolled under the table. I just heard jason in the kitchen crunching. The onion is about the size of a ping pong ball and i would say he has ate a quarter of it. I have read that onion can be very dangerous for rabbits, what should i do? I feel awful, i didnt spot it

advice please anyone all i can find is that it can be posionous for them not what to do if they manage to eat some. i am really worried.

I'm not quite sure what to suggest! I suspect it is like most things, it will be toxic to some buns and not to others. I would keep an eye on him for any adverse reactions he might have to the onion. Make him drink as much as possible and give him some greens to try and encourage things to keep moving. Any signs of GI problems, lethargy, fitting etc get him to a vet. I'm sure he will be fine. Make sure he has plenty of hay!

since i took it off him, he went straight to his hay and has been eating that, then had some water. Thanks for replying, i feel dreadful that he managed to even get hold of one, but he has never shown any interest in going in the kitchen (its a lino floor) so i didnt even realise i hope he will be okay. My vet is an open clinic, so i can take him down any time tomorrow if he shows a reaction.

Also, get in touch with a 24 hour veterinary clinic, doesn't matter which one and just ask someone on call for advice. They won't charge you for it and it will put your mind at rest!

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

http://www.allearssac.org/poison.html#anchor159322 according to this list onions aren't poisonous, although I know they're extremely poisonous to dogs, but so are raisins and lots of people give them to their bunnies

http://www.vets-now.com/vets

Call any clinic from the above link... i wouldn't worry, accidents happen! my rabbits have consumed some very strange things in their time

thanks i phoned the out of hours and the vet said that it may result in the rabbit having the runs, so to keep a close eye on him and if he seems unwell to phone them back or if tomorrow go to my own vet.

ah see, I'm sure he will be fine!! It wasn't such a huge amount either so try not to worry!

he is eating lots of hay, which isnt actually like him, he hasnt left it in the twenty mins since i took the onion off him. I hope thats a good thing.