• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits drink wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawkward

New Kit
Every night when i come home from work i have a glass of wine. My girlfriend gets home before me so the rabbit is always out of his cage. once i sit down my rabbit runs up to me jumps on my lap and sticks his face in my glass of wine and tries to drink it. I don't let him. once i got up and left my glass on the ground and when i came back he was drinking it. he didnt get sick or silly or anything like that and seemed fine. i felt bad that he drank it, but im always wondering why he wants wine more than anything else. he is a very loved rabbit and never neglected so he always has food and water. its not like he is going for it just becaue there is nothing else for him to drink. i believe he truly loves it. is there somthign he knows that i dont. i know a glass of wine is good for people. maybe a thimble for a rabbit?

it's probably the fruity smell that's attracting him, but if it's bad for humans liver, it will play havoc with a rabbit's liver, which is very delicate and prone to failure anyway. Alcohol is classed as 'poison' so dealt with by the liver - wood shavings, anaesthetics and starvation all damage a rabbits liver too - so the damage accumulates over time.

No.

I was reading on a dog forum that someone lost their labradors because they had finished off a neighbours alcohol, they survived the episode but then went on to to have kidney or liver damage and died. I would not worry too much about the accident with yours, but I would defnitely not repeat it. They might look okay, but its the internal damage.

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply. I was a little worried when he drank some of my wine but since then i have been very careful no to leave it on the floor even for a minute where he can get it. Is there anything besides water he can drink. maybe for a treat? orange juice perhaps? Just asking so if he keeps bugging me for my wine maybe i could give him a treat of his own.

our french lop did this once....i had left a glass of wine on the coffee table ,got up to go into the kitchen, heard a crash and she had knocked it on to the floor and started drinking it! luckily there was nt much left in the glass and the glass itself didnt smash!:roll:
she was fine but i never left her near glasses again..
i agree that its very bad for them and dont let bun do it again
its not worth risking bunnies health, :cry:
we give ours prune juice...just a tiny bit though or even a couple of raisins to them is just as nice!:lol:

Hi

If you want to give him a treat, a small piece of carrot or apple would be great :D Water is the only thing rabbits should be drinking.

some people put a drop of apple juice with water in the drinking bowl (I wouldn't put it in a bottle as it might go mouldy or corrode the metal spout) - really though what they haven't had they won't miss - I put a splash of boiling kettle water in my rabbit's water dishes with the cold tap water, and they really love that :D

Nemo is always after alchohol ...if i put a wine glass or a can of cider on the floor he runs straight to it ...doesnt try to drink it though ...he just knocks it over .

must be the smell cos he doesnt do it with water or pop. :?

Caspian used to try and get on th coffee table if I had a glass of WKD up there. He also used to stand on his back legs and lick the outside of the glass :roll:

He was never allowed any though, rabbits are fragile enough as it is.

I hardly consider anyone looking for help to a problem stupid. I do not let him drink wine and the reason for this is because im aware of the fact that its probably not good for him. I presented my question in a fun and interesting way simply because that is the type of person I am. Everyone was considerate enough and sensible enough to realize that i care for my pet and was looking for more information on him. Hopefully others do not feel that I'm "too stupid to own a pet" Hopefully people aren't stupid enough to be unable to differentiate between a wee bit of sarcasm and the literal truth.

Don't worry Dr Awkward, if you look at that person's profile you will see it's just a troll who joined today clearly to cause offence and trouble - I'm sure no-one really thinks that!

I hardly consider anyone looking for help to a problem stupid. I do not let him drink wine and the reason for this is because im aware of the fact that its probably not good for him. I presented my question in a fun and interesting way simply because that is the type of person I am. Everyone was considerate enough and sensible enough to realize that i care for my pet and was looking for more information on him. Hopefully others do not feel that I'm "too stupid to own a pet" Hopefully people aren't stupid enough to be unable to differentiate between a wee bit of sarcasm and the literal truth.

Its a troll. Ignore it.

not the best, but...

Not the best idea, but just cut him off when he starts cussing you out or begs to karaoke to Marc Anthony. That's when you know he's had enough.

maybe just another Troll Jane! But did make me think about alternatives to water...my Pebs will jump on my computer desk and finish off my cold herbal tea out of my mug :lol: Lots of herbal tea flavours I'm not too keen on, so maybe OK for buns occasionally??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back