Thread: Can rabbits drink wine?

Default Can rabbits drink wine?

Every night when i come home from work i have a glass of wine. My girlfriend gets home before me so the rabbit is always out of his cage. once i sit down my rabbit runs up to me jumps on my lap and sticks his face in my glass of wine and tries to drink it. I don't let him. once i got up and left my glass on the ground and when i came back he was drinking it. he didnt get sick or silly or anything like that and seemed fine. i felt bad that he drank it, but im always wondering why he wants wine more than anything else. he is a very loved rabbit and never neglected so he always has food and water. its not like he is going for it just becaue there is nothing else for him to drink. i believe he truly loves it. is there somthign he knows that i dont. i know a glass of wine is good for people. maybe a thimble for a rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by drawkward View Post
    Every night when i come home from work i have a glass of wine. My girlfriend gets home before me so the rabbit is always out of his cage. once i sit down my rabbit runs up to me jumps on my lap and sticks his face in my glass of wine and tries to drink it. I don't let him. once i got up and left my glass on the ground and when i came back he was drinking it. he didnt get sick or silly or anything like that and seemed fine. i felt bad that he drank it, but im always wondering why he wants wine more than anything else. he is a very loved rabbit and never neglected so he always has food and water. its not like he is going for it just becaue there is nothing else for him to drink. i believe he truly loves it. is there somthign he knows that i dont. i know a glass of wine is good for people. maybe a thimble for a rabbit?

I wouldnt let him...could cause harm to him

Rabbits are physically capable of drinking wine (as Lucifer has tried to prove many times) but I don't imagine it will do them any good.

There is no doubt in this. Alcohol will hurt bunnies, just as it hurts people. It pickles the liver. People have a rather large tolerance to it, and bunnies I suspect have a degree of tolerence too, but not very much.

Oh oh! better hide tthe vino when Gasket's around. Hope he doesn't read this thread LOL!!

Wise Old Thumper

It has a lot of sugar in which i think attracts them. Sorrel goes mad for it too and will happily drag an empty bottle into a corner so she can lick the top, but I don't let her. I would certainly never let her drink any as apart from the alcohol issue its full of sugar which makes them fat and is bad for their teeth.
    Poppy, Guiness, Briony and Sorrel, I think of you every day.

"The degree of loss experienced is proportionate to the investment of the heart".

Wise Old Thumper

most animals will happily help themselves to things that are bad for them...it's up to the owners to make sure they cannot obtain potentially poisonous substances.

my advice is put your glass out of reach and do not allow your rabbit to have any alcohol at all..you are very lucky he hasn't been ill so far
    Please stick to giving your pets things we all know are safe for them
    Jill @ HONEYBUNNIES
    Leicester Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescue 0116 2869887 honeybunnysr@aol.com

Someone I know got a bun drunk on whisky because they'd been playing a drinking game with whisky in the bottle and then put it back in the cage! Apparently it had a very long sleep. Don't get your bun drunk!

If people can injure themselves getting legless imagine the damage a bunny could do to itself!

Was my post deemed irresponsible in response to this thread Zion didn't drink any of the wine and I didn't even think he would try to it all happened so quick