Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bales of hay

Warren Veteran Crystal butterfly's Avatar

Default bales of hay

i just wondered how large the bales of hay are from this site

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/index.htm

i have never ordered from this site mainly because im scarred the bales will e as big as those on the farms if you get me and i have no room for bales that big and it would just be a waste so if someone could give me a rough idea on size id be much grateful

also is their a diffrence between timothy hay and normal hay?

xx

Crystal my beautiful princess heaven needed another angel, forever my best friend and worlds greatest rabbit sleep tight gorgeous always in my heart xxxxxxx

Misty and Toffee both stolen from their hutch July 2012. I'm sorry I failed you both xxxxxxxxx

Warren Veteran

The bales are the same size as the ones from farms X

ah thats no good then couldnt fit them anywhere

Crystal my beautiful princess heaven needed another angel, forever my best friend and worlds greatest rabbit sleep tight gorgeous always in my heart xxxxxxx

Misty and Toffee both stolen from their hutch July 2012. I'm sorry I failed you both xxxxxxxxx

The large bales are about the size of farm ones, but the small ones are nowhere near that (the large bale is the equivalent to 7 or 8 small bales) if you look at the 4th picture down on the page in the link below you can see both a large and a small bale up against someones legs (to let you get an idea of the size). The smaller bale is a bit bigger than the large compressed bags of hay you get in pet shops.

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/hay2.html

Timothy hay is much stalkier than normal hay, so is really good for wearing down teeth.
    Last edited by thistle; 20-03-2008 at 07:21 PM.

the large bales look the same height as a farm hay but are they as think as you know farm hay is a massive cirle thing making it extremly bulky which is my biggest problem width and height = no problem but the depth of the hay is the problem if its really wide if that makes sense im kind of confusing myself

i dont think id bother buying the small bags because i could easily go to my local pet store (doesnt sell animals) and get about 5 bags for the same price

I have just taken a measuring tape to my large bale, it's about a foot deep and 18" wide. Hope this helps

Warren Veteran

How long does the large bale last the 25.99 one please?

Thanks

Jackie

thats perfect it will deffinatly fit in my shed then will get ordering some now if push come to a shove i can place it in my large cupboard inside if it turns out its to big i can always donate it to a local rescue

Warren Scout

To give you an idea the large bale when placed on the floor in front of you is about waist height and roughly 2-3ft wide (it sounds a lot but it's not really).

Also remember its compressed which makes the bale even smaller. I store mine under the stairs ( which is not that big) cut a hole in the sack and pull chunks off when needed. I large bale lasts us 6 weeks for 3 rabs

I haven't bought from these folks before although I have read that their products seem very good quality.

I do buy locally produced meadow and timothy hay in a compressed bale weighing in at about 15-20kgs and measures 3'x1 1/2'x1' and costs 4.00. It isn't dust extracted (although it is normally very good and low dust) but it's lovely quality and very green and leafy/stalky.

Whilst I know that this supplier Dust Free Hay is probably very convenient for folks who can't get to a farm, but I would strongly recommend seeking a farm nearby as it makes it so much cheaper and you can go and check the quality yourself. If I didn't have access to this hay I wouldn't be able to have all of my buns as it would be far too expensive.

By buying reasonably priced quality hay, it means that I can give much more than I could otherwise and they can have a mound to keep them warm on cold nights as well as for their supper.

If you haven't got room for a big bale, do you have a bunny friend locally who could share a bale and the cost with you?