• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gave rabbit chocolate have I killed him

singhters

New Kit
Im looking after my girlfriends rabbit and dont know much about them, but tonight i got easter egg from work so i decided to give him a piece it was only a small piece say about 2 inches broken up, then i gave him water down carrots from a tin at this stage i still didnt know chocolate could hurt i didnt give him any more.

Im so worried that i may end up killing him but he seems fine hes in my room being his usual crazy self hopping around and doing flips lol.

will he be ok.

can someone give me a fact sheet of what i can and cant feed him.

thanks.

You should only feed him what he eats normally as any change in diet can upset their guts even if it's rabbit safe food. A rabbits diet should be lots of hay and he may also eat dry food - about half a mug a day max (even if he empties his bowl in between).

Definitely not chocolate. That shouldn't be fed to any animal. If he stops eating/pooping or looks uncomfortable (hunches up and is reluctant to move) you'll need to get him straight to a vet!

Tamsin

Make sure he has plenty of hay and water at his disposal.

Generally speaking produced foods for humans are not suitable for rabbits, even some of the treats you can find in shops designed specifically for rabbits are not good for them :? There are lists of suitable foods for rabbits on this site http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html

Hope that is some help, hope the little bun will be ok :)

also no tinned food of frozen!!!

You need to check with her what she has been feeding him. If it is just for a night i would stick to his pellets and lots of hay. If it is more than one night, find out what she has been feeding him or possibly introduce in very small quantities anything that is not listed here:

http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html

you could try celery, raddish, spring greens, dark lettuce, a little carrot or apple.

Last edited:
Hi!

Dont worry, he will be fine!

One of our mad dutchies stole a piece of choco out of the box on a table, unwrapped it and ate it at xmas..

When i was younger i had a house rabbit that was as mad as me for chocolate so we always shared the choco.. cant say i recommend it but it doesnt kill them..

Every bunny is different, some will be fine some maybe get bit of messy bum and some like my friends bun after consuming a small piece of chocolate accidentally dropped on floor went into stasis and died within 2 days!

Everybun is different and those that are more delicate then others also react differently some minor upset some very severe!

Make sure eats lots of hay and water and any sign of something not right, vets!:)

don't feed him anymore, but he should be ok with that amount. Mine ate some chocolate by accident a few days ago and have been fine. Can't say the same for my nerves. Don't miss out the new deals from the Catalogue Specials.

In choc there is a chemical that can be fatal in rabbits just like that in dogs so just be carefull,hope the little bunster is ok.

Rick

What makes chocolate toxic, anyway?
Chocolate is made from the fruit (beans) of the cacao tree. Theobromine, a component of chocolate, is the toxic compound in chocolate. (Caffeine is also present in chocolate, but in much smaller amounts than Theobromine.)

Theobromine's effect on the body:

Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant
Cardiovascular stimulant
Increase blood pressure (mild)
Nausea and vomiting

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed

Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 390-450 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Milk chocolate = 44-60 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Semi-sweet is a bit less than half of the Theobromine content as Baker's chocolate.

How much is too much?
The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). However, various reports by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have noted problems at doses much lower than this - i.e. 20mg/kg.

Translated to a "typical" scenario, and using the 20mg/kg as a measure of "problems can be seen at this level of ingestion", a 50 pound dog would have to consume 9 ounces (+/-) of milk chocolate to consume the 20mg/kg amount of Theobromine. Some dogs won't see problems at this rate. Some may.

This is a much more conservative toxic level calculation than the "standard" of 100-200mg/kg, but better safe than sorry. A dog sneaking a couple M&M's shouldn't have a problem, but it isn't a good habit to get into!

What are the signs of toxicity?
Signs are most commonly seen within 12 hours (or less) of chocolate ingestion.

Excitement / nervousness / trembling
Vomiting / diarrhea
Excessive thirst / sometimes excessive urination (at higher levels of Theobromine toxicity)
Muscle spasms
Seizures
Coma (rare)
Death (rare) -- likely due to heart rhythm abnormalities.

How is chocolate toxicity treated?
If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate (more than the stray chocolate chip that fell on the floor), call your veterinarian for advice. The toxicity of Theobromine is dose dependent. This means that the size of your pet, the type of chocolate, and quantity of chocolate determine if or how toxic it is for your pet.

There is no specific antidote for Theobromine toxicity. Medical treatment is supportive, and may include all or some of the following:

IV fluids - to prevent dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea, and /or increased urination, and to "flush" the Theobromine out of the system.
Emetics - medications that induce vomiting. Used when the ingestion of chocolate is within 4 hours. Up to 6-8 hours post chocolate ingestion may be effective.
Activated charcoal - for ingestion greater than 4 hours prior to treatment, or for patients that show continued signs of toxicity.
Anti-seizure medications - for patients having seizures and/or muscle tremors.
Cardiac medications - for patients exhibiting irregular heart rates or rhythms.

Why isn't chocolate toxic to humans?
Humans can break down and excrete Theobromine much more efficiently than dogs. The half life of Theobromine in the dog is long; approximately 17.5 hours.

Keep your pet's best interests at heart...chocolate wasn't meant to be shared anyway (grin).

Based mainly on dogs but still relevant.

Back