• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you pay....?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
£220 for a 6x2x2 hutch made to my specifications i.e. 3 front doors, 1ft off the ground which is boxed in so bunnies can have shade/shelter underneath hutch with an attached 6x4x2.5ft run made from the highest quality wood and mesh?

I am trying to sort housing for Winter and hopefully Alice. Nic has said that Alice (standard rex) as a bit big to use a ladder to get up into a hutch which is 2ft off the ground, and should have housing an run on the same level.

I have had a quote from someone who my bunny boarder recommended. I sent her what I wanted which is:
* a 6x2x2 hutch with an access door cut out of the back of the hutch which backs onto an attached run.
* the hutch to be 1ft off the ground which makes it more accessible to clean. * to attach a 6x4x2.5ft run to it (so it will essentially be 3 panels of wood and mesh on the side and 3 panels 4x2 on top). They said they would box in the underneath of the hutch which would give a 6x2x1ft sheltered addition to the run (so making it 6x6).

They have said it would cost £120 for the hutch and £100 for the run. Now the price for the hutch I find acceptable as my bunny boarder has had some hutches from them and said they're really good. But £100 for the run I find a little steep. They use 1/2" welded mesh which they say is expensive.

I have had a look on the Happy Hutch site and I don't think I would get a run for much less than that from them. They quoted me £175 for the 6x2x2 hutch/run combo with a ladder to a 6x4 ft run but was 2ft high rather than 2.5.

Nicola is concerned that Alice would not be able to manouvre the ladder due to her size so this is why I have started to rethink the situation but its getting more and more expensive! :rolleyes:

What do you guys think? Do any of you have a standard rex who is fine with a ladder 2ft off the ground? Would you say £220 is worth it for what I am getting or should I go for the happy hutch combo?

Ta :D

I'd pay it to be honest. I brought a run from the Happy Hutch its a bit disappointing really, very thin wood used and its just stapled to the thin wood. I have had to spend an additional £40 on fixtures and fittings to make it attach to the hutch. I wish I'd paid a bit more really and it be stronger :)

If you have seen a hutch made by these people and its well made then I think its worth it :) Not too sure about the run, I got this run for £110 and its lasted well

DSC03513.jpg

I was so pleased with my happyhutch when it arrived but after getting my Ryedale hutch the happyhutch doesnt look so great anymore :lol: I paid £470 for my double 6ft hutch but that did include postage and is well worth it even with the postage charge :) I love it and would definetly order from them again.

Any chance you could get the hutch and build your own run, thats what im doing with my Ryedale hutch because it would have been a bit too expensive to have a run sent to me as well as the hutch x

Any chance you could get the hutch and build your own run, thats what im doing with my Ryedale hutch because it would have been a bit too expensive to have a run sent to me as well as the hutch x

I could get the hutch and build my own run but to be honest I don't think I would do a very good job, my OH is away until June and ideally I want it sorted before then. He also refused to build anything else for bunnies. Also I don't have a lot of time at the moment and I can just see it dragging on and on.

I just need something that is going to last years. They come highly recommended but are obviously more expensive because they make them at home and don't have access to factory type tools. I like that face he would put the time and effort into it.

The lady did offer for me to go and see her hutches (sounds like she has several bunnies of her own) to see if I like what they have done. I think I may take this up and go and see them next weekend.

Thanks guys. That helps. I'll have to not tell my OH how much it cost me tho!! :rolleyes:

I could get the hutch and build my own run but to be honest I don't think I would do a very good job, my OH is away until June and ideally I want it sorted before then. He also refused to build anything else for bunnies. Also I don't have a lot of time at the moment and I can just see it dragging on and on.

I just need something that is going to last years. They come highly recommended but are obviously more expensive because they make them at home and don't have access to factory type tools. I like that face he would put the time and effort into it.

The lady did offer for me to go and see her hutches (sounds like she has several bunnies of her own) to see if I like what they have done. I think I may take this up and go and see them next weekend.

Thanks guys. That helps. I'll have to not tell my OH how much it cost me tho!! :rolleyes:

Cool :) I told my family my Ryedale hutch cost £150 including postage :oops: Not sure they believed me when they saw it though :lol:

I think that price is pretty good. I can't see why the ladder would be a problem as long as you don't make it too steep.Make it longer with less of a slope. I paid £300 for my hutch and i reckon it's been worth every penny. It was made by Mr. Buns(yes, honestly!) and is 5' wide and 3' deep with both levels being 2' high. It's t&g and lined throughout with thick ply. Beautifully made and totally waterproof. I wasn't able to have a 6' wide one as the space where I wanted to put it wasn't big enough so I had it 3' deep which means they've a total of 18sq,ft on each level.
IMG_2718-1.jpg

We've taken the front off the lower area and added a home made run to the front to which they have 24hr access
DSC02601.jpg

Awww thanks hun. That's really helpful. Well it sounds like its a pretty good price then. I like the fact that the hole access to the run will be cut out of the back of the hutch which leaves the full floor space for the buns rather than a hole for a ladder. I am sure my OH will just be happy that he won't have to spend his summer building more bunny accomodation.

I think I'll arrange to go an take a look at her hutches and then make a decision from then. I'm not in a desperate hurry as Winter is ok where he is now and he is on his Panacur course now and still needs his VHD vaccination.

Only other problem I have is getting hold of a transit van to go and pick it up. Hiring a van is going to cost a small fortune so I am gonna have to try and find someone who will help me out. Fingers crossed.

Back