• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis.. am i worrying about nothing?

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Ithink because nip on here at work and read a lot of the new threads, i keep seeing threads on Stasis.. and now has got me thinking of Ralph has had it, is getting it , has got it!?

sure its just paranoia but im guessing im going to be pretty useless at spotting it.

He drinks ok, eats all his pellets without fail and does have a munch on hay now and again, not loads though!

he poo's quite a bit, albe it quite small and dark.. im guessing this is lack of him eating hay..

i think its prob because i give him too many pellets, which i shall cut down

he is also quite active when he wants to be

are there any indicators a novice like me can look for?

and more importantly, am I worrying over nothing?

I noticed that Dougal was sitting hunched up and seemed uncomfortable, and there was definitely less poo. I felt his belly and it seemed a bit hard and swollen.
Those were the symptoms I picked up when he got stasis. Even now he gets a bit 'bunged up' every now and again. He doesn't stop completely but he'll go a while with no poo and then do GIANT poos (i wonder where he has the space to keep it :lol:)

If you know your bunny and his behaviour you'll spot when something is wrong. Don't worry! :)

If he's eating, drinking and pooing fine he's ok! You are definitely paranoid, but that's not such a bad thing, some people wouldn't notice if their rabbit hadn't eaten for days :cry:

Like Siona says, you will know if somethings wrong. The moment I came home when Bobbin had developed Stasis I knew something was up. Try not to worry!

You sound like you know your bun - you will notice if he develops stasis. When Nushka had it i noticed she didn't seem herself before spotting she hadn't pooed. She was hunched up and sitting in strange places. She also started to grind her teeth at the vet - a sign of pain. She's fine now though :D

Ithink because nip on here at work and read a lot of the new threads, i keep seeing threads on Stasis.. and now has got me thinking of Ralph has had it, is getting it , has got it!?

sure its just paranoia but im guessing im going to be pretty useless at spotting it.

He drinks ok, eats all his pellets without fail and does have a munch on hay now and again, not loads though!

he poo's quite a bit, albe it quite small and dark.. im guessing this is lack of him eating hay..

i think its prob because i give him too many pellets, which i shall cut down

he is also quite active when he wants to be

are there any indicators a novice like me can look for?

and more importantly, am I worrying over nothing?

Before Bunnie's and our 1st experience of stasis she didn't eat much hay and poos were small. So when her tummy was slowing down we didn't notice that her poos were getting tiny right away, but then did notice her poos tiny and rock hard. At the time we did not know this was a indicator of the stomach slowing down. She pounced on her pellet and veg all the time she was getting ill, but come Sunday morning woke up and knew she was ill. No poos and didn't want food was hunched up and pushing her tummy into the floor and was cold and grinding teeth!

Her tummy didn't feel swollen/hard, but vet said it can be hard to tell and sometimes to feel this have to push right in, but buns tum was not swollen, and for her to feel a bit of hard she had to push right in and then Bunnie showed she was tender there! Vet said never go on your opinion of it being hard as not always easy to feel if you don't know what feeling or what it should feel like unless the tum is really hard at the softest touch then it is obvious!

After her stasis we cut back on pellets and veg and bought decent oxbow timothy hay and now she eats tonnes of the stuff!:)

Bunnie's sign to us that something is not right with tum is her reducing hay eating but will eat everything else! Everybuns different i suppose:)

Last edited:
With my two(particularly Smokey) they seem to either sit very hunched up with their eyes half closed or stretch right out but they don't look relaxed (if that makes sense). Not eating/pooing is a definite sign I'd say.

Sadly, I'm an expert on spotting stasis because Smokey is very prone to it and Inky also gets it on occasion. Like others have said, you just know.

You couldn't fail to spot it in my bunnies - they go from being hungry monsters prepared to rip my arm off for food (as they just get hay all day they are very enthusiastic when pellets or veg appear!) compared to when they have stasis they turn away from food and usually go and sit in a corner or their litter tray looking utterly depressed :( In the 3 years I've had them, I've had 7 incidents of stasis to deal with (in 8 bunnies) - I now just make them run around for 10mins, leave them an hour, then if that hasn't worked I syringe feed them with 1ml of infacol (baby gripe medicine from supermarkets) 10ml of warm, boiled water, leave them an hour, repeat and usually after another 1ml of infacol, 10ml water and another hour, they are fine - TOUCH WOOD :roll: very worrying though :? If that didn't work I'd take them to the vets, but I'm wary of treating stasis aggressively like the vet does, as my first rabbit died after being treated that way.

Back