• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks from carpet

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Oh dear... :( Dusty has got sore looking feet (a bit red and callused, but I don't think infected). I think it's because she spends most of her time on the hallway carpet, which is not particularly soft. I need to find something to put down in the areas that she spends most of her time. Any ideas would be much appreciated. :) I can't use Vetbed as the area is quite big.

I'm also trying to cut her toe nails down as much as possible.

use clean old towels and cheap fleece from the pound shop, that's what i first used for my rexes hocks. i use camp bed rolls from tesco, a double layer of towels and three layers of fleece and it seems to help. my girls hocks look much improved. I also cut their nails once a week to keep them really short.

hth

wilkinsons do metre square pieces of pet fleece for £5 - you could put a couple down in her favourite spots? :)

Thanks! :) I've found an old bedspread type thing that I've put down, and a
t shirt under the little table she lays under. Both bunnies are highly suspicious at the moment, but hopefully they'll get used to it! Will look around for some nice fleece. Really hope I can get her feet looking less sore (they are sort of... dark pink at the moment, rather than bright red - I've looked at piccies of bad sore hocks and they are nothing like that).

Ditto all the ideas already suggested. control of the problem is the key. I have fleeces down where Audrey and Monty (my 2 rex housebunnies) are free range. Sometimes I put a little sudocrem on audrey's hocks, but they seem to be ok :D at the mo (fingers crossed). At least you have spotted the problem very early on - well done. I got some cheap fleeces from Matalan in their slae, also Home Bargains, pound shops sell cheap ones. good luck!

Thanks! :) The bloomin' suspicious bunny is going everywhere but on the new blanket and t shirt at the moment. Hope she changes her mind soon! :roll::lol:

Latest is that Dusty will walk on the nice blanket, but still spends most of her time on the carpet. :roll: She has this routine in the mornings where she starts tearing and jumping around like a demented frog (it's very cute!), and she will only do that on the carpet. AAARRGHH!

My Nigel is on carpet all the time, and won't accept any kind of bedding. He doesn't show any sign of soreness though, but I put that down to him having such thick fur cos he's a big giant bun :)

Can you put something like baby socks on her?

My Nigel is on carpet all the time, and won't accept any kind of bedding. He doesn't show any sign of soreness though, but I put that down to him having such thick fur cos he's a big giant bun :)

Can you put something like baby socks on her?

I love the fact your bun is called Nigel :)

(Sorry - off topic I know)

Back