Thread: Sore hocks from carpet

Default Sore hocks from carpet

Oh dear... Dusty has got sore looking feet (a bit red and callused, but I don't think infected). I think it's because she spends most of her time on the hallway carpet, which is not particularly soft. I need to find something to put down in the areas that she spends most of her time. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I can't use Vetbed as the area is quite big.

I'm also trying to cut her toe nails down as much as possible.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Ruby and Amber guinea pigs

Mama Doe

use clean old towels and cheap fleece from the pound shop, that's what i first used for my rexes hocks. i use camp bed rolls from tesco, a double layer of towels and three layers of fleece and it seems to help. my girls hocks look much improved. I also cut their nails once a week to keep them really short.

hth

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

wilkinsons do metre square pieces of pet fleece for 5 - you could put a couple down in her favourite spots?

Thanks! I've found an old bedspread type thing that I've put down, and a
    t shirt under the little table she lays under. Both bunnies are highly suspicious at the moment, but hopefully they'll get used to it! Will look around for some nice fleece. Really hope I can get her feet looking less sore (they are sort of... dark pink at the moment, rather than bright red - I've looked at piccies of bad sore hocks and they are nothing like that).
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx

Ditto all the ideas already suggested. control of the problem is the key. I have fleeces down where Audrey and Monty (my 2 rex housebunnies) are free range. Sometimes I put a little sudocrem on audrey's hocks, but they seem to be ok at the mo (fingers crossed). At least you have spotted the problem very early on - well done. I got some cheap fleeces from Matalan in their slae, also Home Bargains, pound shops sell cheap ones. good luck!

Thanks! The bloomin' suspicious bunny is going everywhere but on the new blanket and t shirt at the moment. Hope she changes her mind soon!
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx

Latest is that Dusty will walk on the nice blanket, but still spends most of her time on the carpet. She has this routine in the mornings where she starts tearing and jumping around like a demented frog (it's very cute!), and she will only do that on the carpet. AAARRGHH!
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx

My Nigel is on carpet all the time, and won't accept any kind of bedding. He doesn't show any sign of soreness though, but I put that down to him having such thick fur cos he's a big giant bun

Can you put something like baby socks on her?
    Mum to: Gladys Emmanuel my big gentle lady, Nigel my grumpy boy, Dougal my cuddlebun, Doris the world's greatest digger, Colin the Cornish Rex and Hamish the Hamster. - Bereft of Bunnies but Forever in my Heart <3 xx

Mama Doe

It is a difficult one. Dillon gets sore hocks yet he has rubber matting in his run and cage!

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Siona View Post
    My Nigel is on carpet all the time, and won't accept any kind of bedding. He doesn't show any sign of soreness though, but I put that down to him having such thick fur cos he's a big giant bun

Can you put something like baby socks on her?
    I love the fact your bun is called Nigel

(Sorry - off topic I know)