• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits eat Parsnips?

Im not suprised bunbuns wont eat them - there GROSE :lol:
My 3 pretty much kick the veg they dont like around the cage till i remove it :shock:

I think I read it in the House Rabbit Handbook [don't quote me on that though, I do own a fair few bunny books!] - although it didn't specify if it referred to wild parsnip or normal bog standard parsnip :) I've also read it on a couple of websites I think :?

I love parsnips :lol:!

My lot have had them on occasion, Smokey quite likes them Inky is not so sure.

I think that they are OK as a treat (if they like them that is).

I would never feed my bun wild parnip because of it's similarity to hemlock. The roots aren't toxic though and can be eaten by humans but the leaf can give you a nasty rash. Cultivated parsnip ok in small doses but high in sugar like carrots.

Last edited:
Weird, I just read that Clematis is toxic, and yet Nigel absolutely destroyed the one I had growing and even went back for more without any ill effects!

As he runs free in the garden, I just kind of assume that they know what to eat and what not to, because both he and my two little ones - Dougal and Doris - seem to pick and choose which plants they will nibble on. I had never been worried before, I wonder whether sometimes these sites can scare more than help?

Weird, I just read that Clematis is toxic, and yet Nigel absolutely destroyed the one I had growing and even went back for more without any ill effects!

As he runs free in the garden, I just kind of assume that they know what to eat and what not to, because both he and my two little ones - Dougal and Doris - seem to pick and choose which plants they will nibble on. I had never been worried before, I wonder whether sometimes these sites can scare more than help?

I think most things that are toxic wont cause your bun to drop down dead immediately, but if they keep eating it the build up of toxins in their system can cause problems such as kidney failure.

AH OK, i'll keep him away from it in future then. Im protecting all my plants with cut off plastic bottles anyway, just so they stand a chance!

Oh dear
Mine adore parsnip too, I give them shavings every morning. Every time I give something to my bunnies that they love I find out it has either too much calcium, high in oxalates or sugars, or there is something not right about it. Is there a good reliable tested diet of fresh greens that has been produced so that I don't get it wrong for my two lovely bunnies? it seems even vets differ with their advice Helppp

Oh dear
Mine adore parsnip too, I give them shavings every morning. Every time I give something to my bunnies that they love I find out it has either too much calcium, high in oxalates or sugars, or there is something not right about it. Is there a good reliable tested diet of fresh greens that has been produced so that I don't get it wrong for my two lovely bunnies? it seems even vets differ with their advice Helppp

Herbs are fine, I think parsley is high in calcium but things like mint, sage, rosemary, thyme are all good :thumb: also natural forage like Apple leaves, brambles etc :wave:

I am now very suspicious of parsnips after one of my rabbits became ill after eating a piece... I Googled it and one of the sites said parsnips have a chemical in them which is not good for bunnies. So I don't give them any now.

I've just read a list of things that rabbits cannot eat here http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

and it says that rabbits should not eat parsnips? This is contrary to what I have heard and read before and now I'm worried because I have fed Rocky a couple of pieces :shock:

PS he had his Myxi injection today and was such a good little boy. Alternative ways to buy what you want at a lower cost is always available at Offers This week. FYI he is under 9 months but my vet accepted the national vaccine months voucher anyway and gave me £10 discount for both vaccines so its worth checking with your vet if anyone's in the same boat!

Ax

Thanks for the article. I had no idea that they cannot eat all that "foods to avoid"... Of course I don't think that my rabbit suffered much from an occasional piece of cheese, but I wish I could run across this article earlier.:cry:

Back