• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits eat Parsnips?

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
I've just read a list of things that rabbits cannot eat here http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

and it says that rabbits should not eat parsnips? This is contrary to what I have heard and read before and now I'm worried because I have fed Rocky a couple of pieces :shock:

PS he had his Myxi injection today and was such a good little boy. FYI he is under 9 months but my vet accepted the national vaccine months voucher anyway and gave me £10 discount for both vaccines so its worth checking with your vet if anyone's in the same boat!

Ax

I have read in some places that it's toxic, and fine in others :? I don't really know the truth - I gave a piece to my old bun Jessica before I read it might be toxic and she just ignored it anyway.. I don't feed it just to be on the safe side [and it means more for me! :lol:]

Oooooooooh spooky! Was just coming on to ask the same thing! Last night DH felt Freddie looked sad after his medicine (he was probably furious!!) so he popped in some parsnip!

So I freaked cos I didn't check on the list!!

In the reference section, there is a section on food, on page 2 there is a huge list of good foods, and parsnip is on there............apparently they gobbled it down and they looked ok this morning :? Going forward, parsnips may be taken away though!

I checked the reference section on RU before I posted but I actually didn't see it ... that's probably me just not being able to see the wood for the trees!

After reading that it's a no-no i decided to google it and came back with mixed responses. To be on the safe side I will just not feed it as noone seems to be able to give a conclusive answer.

Wild parsnip the same as wild celery is toxic!

shop parsnip is not but it is very high in sugar, more than carrot apparently!

In vet books they advise it should not be given!:)

The list I had said it was okay, Charlie doesn't like it and Poppy isn't bothered so they don't get it, I'd only give it as a treat though, they've been having fun with blackberries and cherry tomatoes recently, I got a video of Charlie with the juice all over his face- so funny :lol:

Arthur won't touch Parsnips so I don't give them anymore. He stands looking furious at them and kicks them out of the way. :lol:

Mine have parships all the time, where have people got that they can't have them from, Beatrix loves them :D

I've tried mine with parsnips and not one of the 12 would eat them. They just looked disgusted :roll::lol:

Mine have parships all the time, where have people got that they can't have them from, Beatrix loves them :D

Some books written by vets say yes some say no as they are high in sugar!

It is the wild parsnip that is toxic the same as wild celery!:)

Mine only have "tame parsnips" from the greengrocers ;) I have never seen a wild parsnip :) Only a few bunnies like them though :roll:

Back