• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed! Rabbit pulling fur out.

sandygirl

Young Bun
I have had a lovely little girl rabbit for 2 weeks. Today she has started pulling out her fur and piling it in the corner. From what I can read she might be about to give birth (she has been getting plump but I assumed it was all the treats!!)
My question is, how long am I likely to have? I need to clean her cage - not really dirty but want it perfect! I also need to nip out and buy her a bed!
Any advice will be gratefully received!

Definately sounds like she could be preparing her nest, I thought this was a process buns did a few days before giving birth? I'm not too sure however, I am sure one of our more experienced bunny owners will help you out shortly :)x

has your bunny been near an unneutered male? Some rabbits have phantom pregnancies where they display signs of being preganant. But if your bun has been near an intact male then it is likely she is pregnant. I think gestation period for rabbits is 28-32days (can't be sure) I'm sure more people will be along soon to help. Good luck with everything:D

Could be a phantom if your bun has not been near an unneutered male.
Female rabbits are "coming into season" so it could be that.
If she has been near a male rabbit,within the past month it could be possible shes pregnant. If this is the case,seperate her from the any other rabbits and keep a close eye on her. I know my rabbit didnt nest till the day before she give birth, a sign of nesting is usally a good indicator that baby buns will be along soon!
If its a phantom and no babys appear, your best to let her just get on with, as she'll loose interest in her nest within a few days anyway,because her body thinks shes pregnant,she'll still prepare for her "arrival"
I strong recommend you get your female bun neutered when the outcome of this is clear.
Vikkie

Last edited:
Agree with what other people have said. The majority of the rabbits I have had here for ARC who have come in pregnant usually make the nest a few hours before giving birth or what seems as they give birth and then top it up afterwards.

If you have only had her two weeks, where did you get her from? how old is she?. Sorry for all the questions but if you have had her only two weeks and you got her from a pet shop or somebody in experienced to sex bunnies and she was with others then she may well be pregnant but female rabbits when they aren't neutered make nests because they are having a phantom pregnancy. Hopefully she is only having a phantom pregnancy.

Thank you for your replies. She is on her own anyway so no need to separate her from any other rabbits.
She was with other rabbits when I bought her but I was told they were all girls - if she is pregnant I am guessing this was not the case!

I am worried about upsetting her by cleaning out or even adding in food. She is very tame though and seems to like company so would this be ok?

I wouldnt clean the cage out TBH, if shes pregnant you dont want to upset her. Id wait a few days just to be safe,most certainly keep an eye on her and keep checking to see if shes had any babys.
Its still ok to put food in,though if she does have babys adjust food amounts recommended on the back of the packet for a lactating doe!
If i was you, id ring the petshop and ask if they were all deffo girls she was in with just to be sure. Alot of petshops mis-sex. The petshop i bought Phoebe from said she was a girl, she turned out to be a he and got my other girl rabbit, Piper,pregnant.

Thanks again for the replies.

I forgot to ask if there was anything else I should be concerned about, healthwise? If she is not pregnant is it definitely a phantom pregnancy or is there a health issue that could cause her to pull out her fur?

If she's not pregnant it will be a phantom - my girls are more 'nesty' now it's Spring - they stop around June, but last week Petunia built a nest - I always give them lots more hay when they are building, as they put it all in the nest and have nothing to eat otherwise. And I always leave the nest untouched for a week to 10 days - just sweep up around it. If you clear it away they will get very distressed and build another, which is very stressful for them, so leave it - Petunia checked it on Tuesday when I cleaned the shed out, so she's still a bit interested - I'll clear it away next week I should think :)

How old was she when you got her? If she's only a baby it's unlikely she's pregnant but anything over 12 weeks and she could be. Phantom pregnancies are common in un-neutered females, Penny built her first nest with me 2days after she was spayed. :rolleyes:

Hope your girl is not pregnant. It may be just an urge she has. My Girl has done this twice now. She has made a half hearted attempt at a nest while not pregnant or showing any other signs of being pregnant. She also was not botherd when I cleaned it out. But just to be on the safeside as you dont know for certan that your girl has not been impregnated then i would leave the nest for a good week or so.

we got 2 does and one started nesting...we had to get her spayed as she seemed to be constantly doing it .is she running around with hay/ straw in her mouth ?this is also a sure sign.

She was running around with hay in her mouth but she seems to be settling down. She has started eating hay again instead of mixing it with her fur.

I am hoping others are right and it was a phantom pregnancy, she is very young.
I felt her today and, although solid, she doesn't feel abnormally plump. I am thinking of a complete clean out tomorrow as she has broken up the nest a little and doesn't really seem interested anymore.

Do rabbits still do this when spayed?

Back