Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cages with stands?!

Wise Old Thumper

Default cages with stands?!

I keep seeing indoor rabbit cages advertised with stands attached that raise them 2' off the floor - what is the logic behind this? doesnt it mean that the bunny cant hop in and out, and is anyway scared to be so high up?!

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

I didn't see the point in them either, that said all my rabbits seem to enjoy being as high off the ground as they can get for some reason

Bridge bunny mummy to: Fluffy, Treacle, Niamh, Amy, Toffee, Caramel, Fudge, Sugarplum, Splodge and Bella never forgotten

Warren Veteran

Convenience for the owner, like half the pet products out there

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

yeah like Ben's mum says - for humans not animals - they're tiny as well

when my dad built mine he built it off the floor on legs as he seemed to think it was something to do with predator safety cats etc. its not quite 2 ft off but the buns jump uup in and jump down out instead of using the ramp

Wise Old Thumper

i suspected as much

my outdoor hutches are obviously raised off the groundcos of damp and predators but i dont see the need for indoors.

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

Mostly for back problems...(Dad)

I once read they (or this might have been only for guinea pigs) should be off the ground since they could get stressed out by the sound and vibration of people walking around
    The school cages are off the ground but that is mostly to ease cleaning, so we just dig out the sawdust and let it fall into a box underneath, but with a regular pet shop cage this wouldn't be possible anyway so that's pretty useless
    Plenty of rabbits like to sit tall, maybe to get a good view of their surroundings, but its better to just give them a taller cage or a box to sit on, instead of putting their cage way up high so they can't get out on their own.

As for guinea pigs and being stressed, all the school's pigs are in pens on the floor Never once had one get stressed because of people (or stomping rabbits) walking around them (and no the buns are not in with the guinea pigs, but they sometimes get the run of the room, and then they pass the guinea pig pens sometimes.

I know with rat cages it can be good as they like to be "at your level" but for buns it does seem a bit silly as they'd want to hop in and out as easily as possible!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk
    Kitsch Kitty's Unique Boutique - Custom creations designed to delight
    *25% discount for all forum members quote ANGEL11*

Wise Old Thumper

It's a good idea for somebody who's old or has a bad back...after cleaning all my hutches out every saturday, my back really starts to hurt.