• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting used to a new rabbit

usagibunny

Young Bun
I'm not 100% sure I am keeping my new bunny yet. I'd really like to, but it all depends on how the bonding goes.

Anyway, it has been a *long* time since I have had to deal with a younger rabbit. He has so much energy! I don't know what to do with him! He was tearing at the carpet tonight, so I put a piece of wood down to prevent that. What can I do to get him to calm down a little?

Also, he is a little aggressive. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to curb that?

My goodness, it has been so long, I don't think I realized what I was getting myself into!

By the way, he has a couple of baby toys, a toilet paper roll, and hay. So it's not as if he has nothing to do.

How young is he? Has he been neutered? and if so when? it may take him a while to calm down. Is he scared? or in pain?

How much space does he have? Can he have a morning/evening run around a large area? I can tell Muppet (18 months so not 'young') is happier when he's had a good run-around.

I suspect that he is making your home his in his carpet tearing...Is he too young to be neutered? Kay's post makes a good point.

I suppose, appart from allowing him a long run to wear himself out, that you can do little more than distract him from tearing and such in the meantime - maybe you could get hold of a big box and cut holes in it for him to play in? :)

Good luck! TP;)

He's neutered, I don't know how long he has been though. I got him from the rescue, and it says he's a young adult. He's really just rambunctious, that's all. Just hard getting used to after having the calmest bunny ever for so long :)

He's in a pen divided by a baby gate right now. I'd like to give him more room to run around, but the lady at the bunny place said that they don't need to run much when they are bonding. Also that if one saw the other running around (while they were stuck in the pen) it would hinder the bonding because they would become territorial.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I will see if I have a box somewhere tomorrow. Hopefully that'll entertain the little guy :)

:wave::lol:

Young Bunsters, yep I sorta know what its like, we had Bungo recently - and although he is 18 months old - I think some days he is going on 8 months:lol::lol:

Only help I can give really, is try and give it some time, Bungo was hyper when he first came to me but now some two months on he is a different bunny, very often I think when bunnies come out of a Rescue environment they are bound to find their feet:lol: and want to enjoy their new found freedom.

You mention he is a little agressive - can you give some more information re this and in what situations this happens, is it when he is picked up? or during feed times etc?

Also re the chewing - as mentioned Bunnies luv all manner of toys, Bungo took to digging when he first arrived and chewing but now with lots of natural Willow toys around he has decided these taste much better:):) - certainly also in the UK you can buy Pet Sprays which help train cats, puppies, rabbits etc which you can spray on the areas they favour to chew etc - I found this worked wonders with Bungo.

Hope this helps and good luck with your wee boy:wave:

Back