• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much feed?

>Mic<

Young Bun
Some sites I read say that a young bunny should have a ready supply of pellets available and others say to limit, I was just wondering what your views were, benny is around 10weeks old.

I only feed a limited dose. Some rabbits will eat too much pellets and become overweight or sick because they don't get enough hay.
Rabbits need to have some food available at all times in order to keep their digestive system working, but only hay.
I feed young rabbits the same amount as adult rabbits.

A ready supply of hay is definatly the best way to go. Depending on the size of your bunny, I'd feed 30-40g of pellets once per day. You should also supplement the diet with a handful fo herbs and green veg but not iceberg lettuce.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, he always has fresh hay aswell as his pellets so think I will limit his pellets!

Which brand of pellets do you feed? Burgess Supa rabbit offer a juinor feed for growing bunnies. That might be worthwhile investing in whilst Benny is still young.

Which brand of pellets do you feed? Burgess Supa rabbit offer a juinor feed for growing bunnies. That might be worthwhile investing in whilst Benny is still young.

P@H Junior Pellets - I got him from P@H & thats what they said they fed him on so I thought I should carry on the same.

I'm not sure what the quality og PAH is as I don't buy from them. Supa rabbit is reccomended by vets but too much of that will fatten a rabbit also. If you ever wanted to change her diet, do it gradually by introducing a small amount of new pellets into her bowl of current pellets. Over time, increase the amount of new so that it eventually replaces the old. However you've got her on junior and she's still growing so that shpuld be fine. The best way to check the quality of rabbit foo is to find how much fibre is present. It should tell you at the back of the bag, anything from 16% upwards is good.

Well, bit of a update,after visiting the vet she told me to only feed him a small handful of pellets a day (slightly less than what I was feeding him) so I started doing this but I find when i go in on a morning to feed him he practically chews my hand off to get the pellets (well,he doesnt but he goes mad for them!)Im worried now that I am not feeding him enough, I always give him fresh hay & he seems to eat most of that too, what do you's think?

I'm not sure what the quality og PAH is as I don't buy from them. Supa rabbit is reccomended by vets but too much of that will fatten a rabbit also. If you ever wanted to change her diet, do it gradually by introducing a small amount of new pellets into her bowl of current pellets. Over time, increase the amount of new so that it eventually replaces the old. However you've got her on junior and she's still growing so that shpuld be fine. The best way to check the quality of rabbit foo is to find how much fibre is present. It should tell you at the back of the bag, anything from 16% upwards is good.

I used Oxbow 15/23 for two of our young ones and then transfered them onto Oxbow's bunny basic T. I was of the understanding the higher the fiber the content the better i.e. at least 20% or over.

we have two other buns who came to us on the P@H feeds and it's been a nightmare trying to get thme off that rubbish:lol:

Phil

Well, bit of a update,after visiting the vet she told me to only feed him a small handful of pellets a day (slightly less than what I was feeding him) so I started doing this but I find when i go in on a morning to feed him he practically chews my hand off to get the pellets (well,he doesnt but he goes mad for them!)Im worried now that I am not feeding him enough, I always give him fresh hay & he seems to eat most of that too, what do you's think?

Most rabbits I know would go crazy over pellets:roll:
Regardless on how much they get. They just really love pellets:lol:

I have fed all my bunnies (even as 8 wk old babies) just a handful of pellets in the morning and veg in the evening. Introduce veg gradually though.

Back