Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weeping eye- whats causing it?

Default weeping eye- whats causing it?

Hi there,

for the past couple of days my bunny has had a weeping eye, but just on one side. I notices there is a white discharge coming out and I have been cleaning the area with salt water. If it doesnt clear up I am taking her to the vet but I am really worried about what this could be and wondered if anyone has any ideas? I am a bit scared as last time my rabbit had weeping eyes it eneded up being put down as they thought its teeth were in-growing though in the end it endeded up looking like he had mixamtosis as he became blind and paralysed.

So please let me know if you have had the same problem- i just want to be prepared for what it might be,

Many Thansks!!!

Hi there

I'm so sorry about your other bun

Watery eyes can be caused by or be the symptoms of several things, see this link for some of them: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

On the one hand I think it's a positive that only one is watering as I believe this means that the problem is probably confined to that one eye and is not a symptom of another underlying illness.

It could be anything, even something simply that has irritated his eye. Don't panic but I would advise that you take him to the vet as soon as poss.

In the mean time, if your bun is not overly feisty you can bathe the eye to soothe it. Wrap bunny up in a towel, firmly but not too tight, or if he's ok you can do it with him upside-down. Bathe the eye and the fur around it in outward strokes using a cotton pad dipped in cooled boiled water. I test a bit on my own eye first to see if it's cool enough.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

One of my bunnies had a weepy eye and it didnt clear with bathing, a short course of antibiotics and eye drops did the trick
    Id bathe daily and wath for an improvement, we knew there was none when the hair near her eye started looking a little odd and the vet said it was dermatitis caused by the weeping.Shes fine now

Quote Originally Posted by Custardpowder View Post
    One of my bunnies had a weepy eye and it didnt clear with bathing, a short course of antibiotics and eye drops did the trick
    Id bathe daily and wath for an improvement, we knew there was none when the hair near her eye started looking a little odd and the vet said it was dermatitis caused by the weeping.Shes fine now
    I did not mean to just bathe the eye and see how it goes, I suggest she could bathe it in the mean time before seeing the vet, but she should get to the the vet asap as they will be able to make a much better diagnosis. Do do wait for an improvement, professionals advice is always best.

Yes the tears can really irritate the skin surrounding the eye and cause the fur to matt or thin. This is where bathing can help because it loosens the salt in the fur and calms the skin beneath.

If you have a rabbit with chronically weepy eyes I would recommend clipping away the surrounding fur to prevent it absorbing the tears and burning the skin.

You can then apply vaseline or sudocreme as a barrier cream to the affected skin to prevent inflammation.

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

But be *very* careful clipping around the eyes

Janex

Not everyone has somewhere to spend Christmas. Please help if you can
    http://www.crisis.org.uk/

Warren Scout stewyprinceandluna's Avatar

teeth problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    But be *very* careful clipping around the eyes

Janex
    Obviously. I was lucky to have a co-operative patient. I think he was as fed up of cleaning his eyes as I was

I meant clipping with nail scissors too, not actually clippers.

RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Sooz22 View Post
    Obviously. I was lucky to have a co-operative patient. I think he was as fed up of cleaning his eyes as I was

I meant clipping with nail scissors too, not actually clippers.

Hmmmm, personally I would not go near the eyes with scissors either
    Just a personal opinion

Janex

Not everyone has somewhere to spend Christmas. Please help if you can
    http://www.crisis.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Hmmmm, personally I would not go near the eyes with scissors either
    Just a personal opinion

Janex
    As I said, they were round ended and I had a co-operative patient. His eyes were getting very sore and swollen so we needed to do something.

It does not sound like this rabbit has reached that stage yet though.

Edit: Oops I didnt say they were round ended anyway...

Marley

- Frank A. Clark