• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

10% Panacur - dosage

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Can anyone tell me the correct dosage of 10% Panacur as an alternative to using the Panacur paste, whether it is the same thing (effectiveness) and is it given orally?

I'm wondering if I might save some money doing it this way, otherwise I'm going to have to order 6 tubes of paste.....

Definitely works out cheaper for multiple buns and it's exactly the same active ingredient, from memory the dose of the 10% solution is 0.2ml/kg but hopefully someone else will be able to confirm.

Last edited:
Yes orally just like you are giving any other oral medicine, and for the same amount of days as you would give panacur rabbit (i.e. 9 days for worming/prevention).

One thing to note with Panacur Liquid is that it is not actually licensed for use in Rabbits. Thats not to say its unsafe, it contains the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) as Panacur Rabbit. But it is only the Panacur Rabbit that is actually licensed for use so I would mention to your Vet the fact that you are using the Liquid.

I use the Liquid too and the dose of the Panacur 10% Liquid is 0.2ml/kg daily either for 9 days as a 'routine wormer' or for 6 weeks in cases of suspected 'active' EC

Janex

It's also worth noting that the Panacur Rabbit is much easier to administer than the normal liquid. I think it must taste better.

I used to use the 10% liquid before the rabbit version came out, but unfortunately had to battle with some of my rabbits to get them to take it. :(

Now some of my rabbits actually seem to like the taste of the rabbit version, and come running over when they see the syringe :shock:

Amy

Because you get 100ml of the 10% solution for about £13, so at 0.2ml/kg over 9 days = 1.8ml per kg of bun, which means you can do 56kg of bun (e.g 56 1kg rabbits or 28* 2kg rabbits etc) with one bottle of panacur.

I bet you couldn't do 28 lots of 2kg rabbits for 4 tubes of panacur rabbit!

I use the tube, but then i only have two to do. They were last done in sept, so are due march i think...

any tips for the best way to do it on your own, cus my two hate the taste, could i put it on a piece of food?

I did that with the metacam x

Quite a lot of the rescue bunnies will take Panacur liquid if given pn their greens so I dotn see why they would refuse the 'better' tasting paste.

If you have more than one rabbit living together though you would need to feed them seperately.

The 10% solution is much more cost effective and the one my vets recommended to use (after advising of the license situation etc etc.)

Thanks for all the replies - all 7 bunnies need doing at the same time so once the Panacur arrives it looks like I'm in for a fun 9 days:lol:

Most of mine ate the panacur paste OK, except for the two giants of course - the most difficult two to hold and give drugs to, but I'll try it on their cabbage like Sooz said, and hope for the best!

I've worked it out that it will cost me a quarter of the price of the paste, so worth trying:D

Just dot it about in small pieces and they dont tend to notice. You could also try adding a little bit of apple juice or blackcurrant to it in the syringe to improve the flavour if you really want to avoid direct syringe feeding.

No but had to get 5 mls of it a day down my dog when she had suspected lungworm and it was a ngihtmare.....she literally foamed at the mouth trying to spit it out again.

Back