• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training and damp fur problem

Melanie

Young Bun
Hi everyone ... I apologise in advance for the long post! :oops:

We have two BIG beautiful bunnies who are very well litter trained (not by us I have to say!)

The thing is that in the last few weeks they have started scraping a hole in the middle of their litter box (no matter what type of box, believe me we have tried loads) and then pooping and peeping in the bare bit in the middle :roll: . If we put a little bit of litter (again we have tried different sorts, from megazorb, wooden cat litter, cardboard, newspaper etc) they just push it to the edge of the litter box with their front paws and 'go' in the bit they have just cleared. If we put loads of litter in its a free for all and they turn round and dig it out with their back paws!!!

We are changing their litter box twice a day now, but their beatiful white fur is yellow on their back legs and in a little fringe round their bum where they are sitting in the 'dug out' patch in their litter box and I am worried that in the summer it might encourage flies or that the urine might burn their skin.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Melanie

Can you give them a 'dig' box? A large tray or carboard box filled with soil that they can root around in.

They should find this more entertaining than digging up the litter tray.

Can you give them a 'dig' box? A large tray or carboard box filled with soil that they can root around in.

They should find this more entertaining than digging up the litter tray.

I agree, sounds like they fancy a play around to me. Good luck x

Dig Box Issues!!!

Hi

We have been trying to make a dig box for our two big buns. First we had a huge cardboard box with a hole in (looked like a brown washing machine from a distance!!!)

The buns loved it, but after about a week there were 'new' holes in the back and side where they had chewed through (and 50kg sand crunching about in the garage.)

Then we went to dig box version 2 ... a huge plastic box with a lid (about 3.5 foot long and 2 foot high. Again the buns love it ... I thought that buns turned towards the light and dug backwards so the sand hits the back of the box .... the only problem is that no one seems to have told our two this, and they insist on heaping it back out the hole!!!:roll:

Anyone got any ideas?!?!

Melanie

Back