• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonded pair not getting on

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Jack & Poppy came to me just over a year ago. They've been together for at least 2 years, probably a bit longer.
When they first arrived I realised they were far from the closest pair I've ever met, but as they settled in I started to see that they did have a bond. They cuddled up together and groomed each other, and on the one occasion that Jack had to stay overnight at the vets without Poppy she really missed him.

They live in a 10.5 x 7.5ft shed and I can't remember the last time I actually saw them together. Jack has always chased Poppy and it's not unusual for him to pull out some fur. But these days she seems to be scared to go near him... if he comes anywhere near her she runs away. I never see them together.

Poppy's such a loving little girl, and I feel really bad for her.
Is it possible for 1 of a bonded pair to just decide they don't like their other half?

I don't know what to do about it... I've been trying to persuade my parents to let me try and bond a 3rd rabbit with them so at least she has some company but they won't let me. I've got my 2 foster girls... who after a few months of work are almost as nervous as they were when they arrived. I feel bad that I haven't been able to get them to a more homeable stage, and I don't think they've got much chance of finding a home as they are. I guess I could always try and bond them with Jack and Poppy and adopt them :?

Basically I need some ideas and advice please

Your sugestion of bonding your 2 with the foster to is certainly worth a try, that way Jack has 3 ways to share his attention around, even if it is not quite the behaviour you are wanting from a rabbit.

What would your mums thoughts be about doing this?

Your sugestion of bonding your 2 with the foster to is certainly worth a try, that way Jack has 3 ways to share his attention around, even if it is not quite the behaviour you are wanting from a rabbit.

What would your mums thoughts be about doing this?

Well I'm pretty sure my parents assumed the foster girls would be staying before I even got them home :lol: After all Jack & Poppy started out as fosters :oops:
So they might be ok with that.

(you'd never think I'm 27 years old :oops: :lol: )

Are the two tumid foster buns indoor or outdoor buns? Maybe they woudl come out of their shells a bit quicker if they were indoors?
Have you tried handfeeding them too?

Do Jack and Poppy have any contact with the foster buns? sight, smell etc Maybe that has changed their bonded state?

Are the two tumid foster buns indoor or outdoor buns? Maybe they woudl come out of their shells a bit quicker if they were indoors?
Have you tried handfeeding them too?

Do Jack and Poppy have any contact with the foster buns? sight, smell etc Maybe that has changed their bonded state?

They're outdoor buns but I bought a shed for them so I can spend time with them. I've tried handfeeding them and to be honest they just aren't obsessed enough with food for it to work.. they'd rather go without food most of the time than eat from my hand. They have improved since they arrived, for example I can stroke them now. Maybe I was just expecting too much too soon from them :roll:

Jack and Poppy don't ever see them, I suppose I must smell of them sometimes but that's hard to avoid completely :?

Back