• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Won't let me pet him

feather78

New Kit
I hope this post belongs in the care section, I wasn't really sure where to put it! I got a new bunny (I got him October 10, so he's not too new) who will not let me pet him. He will hop right up to me, hope on me, even sit on me, but if I try to touch him, he takes off. Since he is always near me I don't think he's scared of me. He let me pet him maybe three times, each time for less than one minute. My other bunny, who died in September, would let me pet him endlessly. I got a new bunny so that I would have one to pet! Neither of them wanted me to hold them, which I don't mind, but I would like it if he let me pet him. Does anyone have any ideas for this?

Our Rosie Dumpling is just the same - is a 'you can look but not touch' bun!

She will come for treats but scarpers as soon as a hand is extended towards her! She is about 7 months old and I guess was not handled much as a baby. Her sister Holly can be touched but is not really keen either!

I hope as time goes by they will become more friendly but for the moment I am not pushing myself on them. As they are house buns I waste a lot of time just sitting with them so they get more used to me.

I guess some buns are cuddle buns and some are not! Can only love them for their personalities and accept them as they are!

I find that Piper is much more willing to let me pet her when she's tired from all her binkying and running around. When she's just been let out to get her exercise she doesn't want me to touch her! She'll come sniff me, and jump up on my lap the same as your bun, but heaven forbid if I try to pet her! She's much more cuddly and loves to be petted when she's worn out.

When I got Poppy she wouldn't be touched so i used to handfeed her and stroke the top of her head till she associated being stroked wiht delicious treats, she's fine with it now. :)

I find that Piper is much more willing to let me pet her when she's tired from all her binkying and running around. When she's just been let out to get her exercise she doesn't want me to touch her! She'll come sniff me, and jump up on my lap the same as your bun, but heaven forbid if I try to pet her! She's much more cuddly and loves to be petted when she's worn out.

Oreo is the same way! After he's done running around like a crazy bun, he gets tired, goes and lays down, outstretches the legs, and lets me pet him. He thinks "ahhhh, I'm too tired to care now, phew."

Alvin was like that when we first got him... but i made the mistake of trying to pick him up and cuddle him.... as soon as i stopped grabbing for him he started letting me stroke him while he ate, now almost 5 months later he comes to be stroked when hes in the mood.... still less trusting of ste as hes the one who does the handling.... im hoping that when hes older i will get over my fear of dropping him when i pick him up :oops:

try combining hand feeding him a favorite treat with stroking him at the same time? so he will associate being stroked with something nice.:D

It is a dominant rabbit that allows his head to be stroked. If you watch two buns washing each other, it will be the dominant one having his head washed most of the time, often thrusting him/herself under the chin of the other one, demanding attention!
Similarly, if you go to stroke a bun under his chin, he will assume you are trying to be dominant, and if he doen't think you are, you are likely to get rebuffed.
Stroking is quite an important social affair to a bun, you need to be accepted as one of the 'bunny tribe' and trusted before you are allowed the honour!

I found this article quite enlightening (and quite funny)
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_hierarchy.html

My two existing house buns are very different when it comes to petting!!
Charlie would sit all day and be pampered and will even fall asleep whilst I cradle his head (one hand under chin and the other all over his face)

Molly will come to me for treats and jump all over me to get them and my attention when she wants them but she doesnt like petting too much... she doesnt liek to sit stil for very long

Both other buns love petting tho Poppy will only have any of it if I lean over the pen, and she wil sit there for as long as she can, but not when she is out running, whereas benjamin will come to me for cuddles.

Some say its the difference between boys and girls, boys being the most cuddlebuns but I htink it depends on the bun too and maybe the age, they mellow as they get older.

As long as she isnt scared of you then thats a really good start. You may find if you lie on the floor with her she'll cuddle up to you...

A couple of mine don't like to be stroked and I find stroking them while they're eating helpul as others have suggested. Is he just a single rabbit? I find Faline is a right maniac so wont stay still to be stroked, but if she sees molly getting attention she comes over and demands some too.

It is a dominant rabbit that allows his head to be stroked. If you watch two buns washing each other, it will be the dominant one having his head washed most of the time, often thrusting him/herself under the chin of the other one, demanding attention!
Similarly, if you go to stroke a bun under his chin, he will assume you are trying to be dominant, and if he doen't think you are, you are likely to get rebuffed.
Stroking is quite an important social affair to a bun, you need to be accepted as one of the 'bunny tribe' and trusted before you are allowed the honour!

I found this article quite enlightening (and quite funny)
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_hierarchy.html

OMG... Alvin is my boss :( thatll be why him and jubilee failed bonding then because he did humping and she lowered her head to be groomed and neither would back down!!!

Back