Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't let me pet him

New Kit

Default Won't let me pet him

I hope this post belongs in the care section, I wasn't really sure where to put it! I got a new bunny (I got him October 10, so he's not too new) who will not let me pet him. He will hop right up to me, hope on me, even sit on me, but if I try to touch him, he takes off. Since he is always near me I don't think he's scared of me. He let me pet him maybe three times, each time for less than one minute. My other bunny, who died in September, would let me pet him endlessly. I got a new bunny so that I would have one to pet! Neither of them wanted me to hold them, which I don't mind, but I would like it if he let me pet him. Does anyone have any ideas for this?

Mama Doe

Our Rosie Dumpling is just the same - is a 'you can look but not touch' bun!

She will come for treats but scarpers as soon as a hand is extended towards her! She is about 7 months old and I guess was not handled much as a baby. Her sister Holly can be touched but is not really keen either!

I hope as time goes by they will become more friendly but for the moment I am not pushing myself on them. As they are house buns I waste a lot of time just sitting with them so they get more used to me.

I guess some buns are cuddle buns and some are not! Can only love them for their personalities and accept them as they are!

I find that Piper is much more willing to let me pet her when she's tired from all her binkying and running around. When she's just been let out to get her exercise she doesn't want me to touch her! She'll come sniff me, and jump up on my lap the same as your bun, but heaven forbid if I try to pet her! She's much more cuddly and loves to be petted when she's worn out.

Wise Old Thumper

When I got Poppy she wouldn't be touched so i used to handfeed her and stroke the top of her head till she associated being stroked wiht delicious treats, she's fine with it now.

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

New Kit

Thank you for your replies! Once he starts eating veggies, I'll try to bribe him into letting me pet him...

New Kit

Quote Originally Posted by rice5329 View Post
    I find that Piper is much more willing to let me pet her when she's tired from all her binkying and running around. When she's just been let out to get her exercise she doesn't want me to touch her! She'll come sniff me, and jump up on my lap the same as your bun, but heaven forbid if I try to pet her! She's much more cuddly and loves to be petted when she's worn out.
    Oreo is the same way! After he's done running around like a crazy bun, he gets tired, goes and lays down, outstretches the legs, and lets me pet him. He thinks "ahhhh, I'm too tired to care now, phew."

Alvin was like that when we first got him... but i made the mistake of trying to pick him up and cuddle him.... as soon as i stopped grabbing for him he started letting me stroke him while he ate, now almost 5 months later he comes to be stroked when hes in the mood.... still less trusting of ste as hes the one who does the handling.... im hoping that when hes older i will get over my fear of dropping him when i pick him up

Alvin my precious angel is no longer living with me *sad face*
    RIP Hollywillaboobie love you forever... Alvin is ruling his own little kingdom at Hopper Haven http://www.hopperhaven.org.uk a bunny paradise

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT PLEDGE A POUND - Visit the Pledge a Pound Website and Forum http://pledgeapound.net/about.php

try combining hand feeding him a favorite treat with stroking him at the same time? so he will associate being stroked with something nice.

An old man walking on the beach at dawn noticed a boy picking up a starfish and throwing it into the sea. When asked why, the boy explained that the stranded starfish would die if left to lie in the morning sun. ‘But there are millions of starfish on this beach,’ said the old man. ‘How can your efforts make a difference?’The boy picked up another starfish and placed it in the waves. ‘It makes a difference to this one,’ he said.

Quote Originally Posted by feather78 View Post
    Thank you for your replies! Once he starts eating veggies, I'll try to bribe him into letting me pet him...
    Some people on here hand feed their bunnies their pellets so you don't have to wait for veggies!

Joe you know I'll always love you.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Miles from anybun..

It is a dominant rabbit that allows his head to be stroked. If you watch two buns washing each other, it will be the dominant one having his head washed most of the time, often thrusting him/herself under the chin of the other one, demanding attention!
    Similarly, if you go to stroke a bun under his chin, he will assume you are trying to be dominant, and if he doen't think you are, you are likely to get rebuffed.
    Stroking is quite an important social affair to a bun, you need to be accepted as one of the 'bunny tribe' and trusted before you are allowed the honour!

I found this article quite enlightening (and quite funny)
    http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbi...hierarchy.html

Make Mine Chocolate... except for my 4 rescued buns.