• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best cleaning/disinfecting product for wooden hutches ??

emjay

Warren Scout
Does anyone have some advice on what best to clean a wooden rabbit hutch with??
I am going to use a second hand one temporarily (for extra space) and dont want any smells/bugs/diseases to be picked up etc...

Thanks for advice in advance :D
Hayley

Bleach or Jeyes fluid is good at killing any nasties, but make sure the hutch is throughly dry ebfore you put any animals in there.

I use Virkon S, which is available from horse feed stores.

A none-chemical method would be to blow-torch it...but this carries obvious dangers :shock:

Amy

Thanks guys have heard of white wine vinegar before too... was thinkign MILTON too? safe for babies and for us to drink (diluted) apparently (when drinkgin water on campsites etc).... any takers for MILTON too??

Love the blowtorch idea abbymarysmokey ;) think i'd end up with a burnt smelling abode for bun then with my luck :lol:

I use Pet virkon which is good at killing nasties but apparently it doesn't take away the smell of the previous bun so I was advsed to spray with Citronella afterwards. Or diluted bleach is good but you have to wait for it to dry completely

I use Milton in a spray for my mouse cages, so see no reason why it shouldn't be used in a hutch. :)

Make sure you rinse Milton out well, because I've heard that disinfectants that turn white in water can be poisonous to rabbits.

Mind you, in the days before rearguard, I used to wipe my bunnies bums with dilute dettol to deter flies :shock: Not sure I should be admitting this...don't shoot me :lol:

Amy

Make sure you rinse Milton out well, because I've heard that disinfectants that turn white in water can be poisonous to rabbits.

Mind you, in the days before rearguard, I used to wipe my bunnies bums with dilute dettol to deter flies :shock: Not sure I should be admitting this...don't shoot me :lol:

Amy

Milton doesn't turn white ;)

Janex

You can also use Trigene which is similar to Virkon....my vets use it between patients but personally I use bleach or Jeyes (Jeyes especially if there is an outbreak of something nasty).

Thanks guys all good info. Have got some milton and some white vinegar.
Used to use milton for disinfecting the guinea pig cage... easy to use and smells lovely when doing it. No smell left (well to me) once rinsed and dry too.

Will need to eliminate odours from the run when bonding is in progress/done.

Thankyou all :D

What is Trigene like? I can't use Virkon as the fumes make my asthma bad. I usually use Milton or bleach but I keep ruining my clothes!

I've used milton for years, its great for soaking my hamsters cage tray. Just make sure that if you clean food bowls with it that they're rinsed properly afterwards.

Yep def a good rinse. I actually use it to wash their drinkign bottles too every so often and give it a :censored: good rinse after ...

All our bottles are sterilised every day with Milton, then put in boiling water to rinse and into a very low oven for 20 minutes to sterilise further. For hutches we use Trigene or diluted Formula H.

Back