Thread: Allergic

Young Bun

Default Allergic

Ironically as it turns out, not only is my husband allergic to Checkers, our "trial bunny", but so am i. i think for me it's most likely the hay, in which case i could switch to a different type of hay that may be less allergenic to me (for example i'm not allergic to my horse's orchard grass hay). But my husband is allergic to the bunny himself, we think. He was fine overnight until he went to pet Checkers for an extended period, then the allergies flared (whereas for me i was allergic once i handled the hay).

So, i guess this means my dream of bunny companionship has died.

Oh thats a shame.

My husbands asthma flares up around the hay and animals. So now all the bunnies and guinea pigs are in the spare bedroom and my husband doesn't go in that room

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

ditto with my son - although he's not interested in petting the animals so that helps. I always wear a dust mask (multipack from wilkinsons is about 3) to handle hay and when I clean out cages.

Banned

my partner is also allergic to my rabbits.i dont mind though,keeps him out of my shed!!!!

Did he ever handle the hay? Perhaps it was because he was petting the bun near the hay.

I guess the only way to find out is to keep the bun and change the hay.

I hope it's the hay, and I hear Orchard Grass Hay is supposed to be quite nice!

Aw poor you
    I'm asthmatic and also allergic to hay and all my bunnies!
    But I take antihistamines. Zirtek works for me. Though I tried a few before I found these that work for me as there's different active ingredients in different makes.
    I take one every other day and that keeps any allergic symptoms in check.
    I do realise that its prob not very good for me to take them so often and for as long as I have (years) but I love my pets and would be lost without them, so for me, thats my solution.
    Just thought I'd let you know!

Oh, I'm also wondering whether to give petal cleanse that some have mentioned on here a go. At least on my two house buns anyway!