• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can someone please help? Urgent!

Sandra

Warren Scout
We took our bun to the vet today. She has had runny watery eyes for quite some time and today the vet xrayed her and checked her tear ducts etc. We left her at the vet this morning and picked her up just after 5 pm, she was then laying in her transport cage, not moving. The vet had given her some sedative and said that she was about to wake up. We took her home and we sat with her in our arms for a couple of hours, she seemed very groggy, trying to move at times but became very tired again. When she seemed to be more alert we gave her a couple of pellets and she drank some water. Around 9 pm she seemed fit enough to go down on the floor and she went under the bed and laid down. Around 11 pm she went to the cage for toilet - but she seemed uncomfortable - she was closing her eyes, and squeezed with her body... (not sure if anything came out of her...) We have tried to offer her all kinds of food the last couple of hours but she doesnt want any... not even her favorite stuff...:( And she doesnt seem to become more frisky... We had her spayed some months ago and when we picked her up after her surgery she was really frisky and started eating right away. Should we be worried or is this normal???:cry:

I would phone your vet for advice. If they're not there then there should be an answerphone message telling you who to call.

Can you call the vet to get some advice? I'm not sure what to advise but if your bun isn't acting normally I'd always go on the side of caution and call the vets.

Hope she is ok.

If she isn't pooing or eating then she will need some gut stimulants to get her tummy moving again. Rabbits are supposed to graze continuously and it is a big problem if they stop eating. I would act on the safe side and take her to the vets. I hope she feels better soon :)

Im concerned by the fact that your vets let her go as she was 'about to wake up' :?

Was she not conscious when you collected her? How long had she been in recovery?

Im concerned by the fact that your vets let her go as she was 'about to wake up' :?

Was she not conscious when you collected her? How long had she been in recovery?

Thanks for all replies! I was really worried about that too and felt quite uncomfortable with it. But since everything went so well last time I was stupid enough to believe that it would be the same now... :shock: Right now we are waiting to go to the vet (middle of the night here...). I do not know why I wasnt more worried but I thought the exray and the examination would go fine since she is completely healthy besides the eyes and now my girl has stopped eating:cry:

I expect your Bun needed to be on a heat pad as sedation lowers their blood pressure and they can become hypothermic :cry:

I do hope that the Vet can administer the necessary treatment to aid your Buns recovery. That treatment may include heat therapy, IV fluids and a gut motility stimulant

Please do keep us updated

Janex

How is she doing now? One of my rabbits never eats until the following morning if he has anaesthetic, even after tempting him with everything. Hope she is OK.

Thanks everyone:wave: We are doing better but still not good. I called the vet in the middle of the night because she wasnt eating and hadnt gone to the toilet, I picked her up and listen to her stomach which was completely silent. Then she pooped some very very loose poos. The vet (from another clinique then we went to yesterday) seemed not alerted at all, said she would be fine until morning when the vet opens - I insisted on this being a bad situation but decided in the end that I wasnt sure that this vet would do the right thing as she didnt seem to see the problem... We stayed up with her all night, giving her pinapple juice and water through syringe and went to the vet when they opened this morning. The vet listened to her stomach - no sound. We got Metaclopromide tablets (2 days), Bio-Lapis for rabbits and some Bactrim mixture. We took her home and have continued to give her water and special milk (thicker milk, good for stomach, dont know the name in English...) through syringe as she still doesnt want any food... It suddenly seemed like she was getting worse as she started grinding her teeth loudly (she has never done that before). I called the vet again and she said I could give her some Metacam. My bun then rested for about two hours, laying down flat, and suddently she came to us and wanted to go out on the balcony (which is her favorite place), she has been running around now and is cleaning herself. But the problem is that she still doesnt want to eat by herself - is there anything to do about this? And still no pooping or peeing...:cry:

The metaclop will help to get het guts moving but you will to continue with syringe feeding her to get something into her stomach - you could try some critical care (or its equivilent). Just try syringe feeding her small quantities during the day. This should help to stimulate her appitite. If she still is not pooing within the next 10hrs then I'd give the vet another ring.

You could try mushing up her pellets in some cooled boiled water to syringe feed. I'm not sure what the milk stuff is, but she will need fibre to keep her guts moving. You could add tiny bits of chopped up hay to mushed up pellets to get more fibre in her. I syringe fed every 2-3 hours, about 15-20ml at a time when Luuna was recovering from her dental. Did the vets say her teeth were ok? If they are hurting then she won't want to eat either. Hope she starts eating soon :)

Hey and thanks for your reply, its really good to have this forum.

Going to make her eat some mashed up pellets to see if that will get things going.

She was going in for a dental check yesterday but the doctor said her teeth where fine but her problem was that her roots where to long which caused her tear duct to be pressured and was the cause of her watery eyes all the time. But the vet said she was all good and there was nothing to do but to treat the occasional obstruction that would form in her tear duct but otherwise a healthy bun.

Its quite strange to watch her now, just an hour ago she seemed to be doing good (except for the eating/pooing part) half-binking on the balcony and now she is sitting in the bedroom in what seems to be an uncomfortable position she is not used to sit in.

Any more ideas are appreciated, we will keep you updated on our status...

What dose of Metacam has she had? The no.1 reason rabbits stop eating is down to pain.

Is her tummy bloated? You could try giving it a gentle rub (downwards towards the tail) and encouraging her to run around to get her guts moving. Did the vet inject any gut stimulant or painkiller? If her guts are slowed or not moving then she won't be able to absorb the medicine given via mouth. Is she tempted by any of her favourite foods yet?

ETA: I don't know about the metacam doses I'm afraid :(

Is her tummy bloated? You could try giving it a gentle rub (downwards towards the tail) and encouraging her to run around to get her guts moving. Did the vet inject any gut stimulant or painkiller? If her guts are slowed or not moving then she won't be able to absorb the medicine given via mouth. Is she tempted by any of her favourite foods yet?

ETA: I don't know about the metacam doses I'm afraid :(

The vet didnt inject anything today... and she still doesnt want to touch any food... And I am also confused over why she isnt peeing? Does that have anything to do with the stomache? Still no poo and no pee:cry: I just gave her more metacam, some critiqal care waterblend stuff and some good thick milk through syringe... Should I call the vet and see if she can give her something through injection/IV?

Thanks for caring everyone - would be completely lost without you:love:

have only just caught up on this have been away, so sorry about your bun, i hope she pulls through!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The vet didnt inject anything today... and she still doesnt want to touch any food... And I am also confused over why she isnt peeing? Does that have anything to do with the stomache? Still no poo and no pee:cry: I just gave her more metacam, some critiqal care waterblend stuff and some good thick milk through syringe... Should I call the vet and see if she can give her something through injection/IV?

Thanks for caring everyone - would be completely lost without you:love:

Is she getting quite a bit of liquid when you are syringe feeding her? I've been thinking about it, when Luuna was syringe fed she didn't wee or poo for quite a while, even though I was syringing water and liquid food. She might be absorbing a lot of it if she is dehydrated. They need water to keep the stomach contents moving too. How long is it now since she has eaten or pooed? How does she seem in herself? How long is it since she woke up from the sedative?

Back