Thread: What are these white marks?

Warren Veteran

Default What are these white marks?

Hi
    I was wondering about these white marks in the hutch and the litter tray. It only appears where they wee.

On paper:

On hutch floor:

In the litter tray:

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT THEY ARE IN UNCLEAN CONDITIONS. I CLEAN THEIR BEDROOM OUT ONCE A DAY AND THEIR LITTER TRAY. THEIR MAIN AREA, WHERE THEY DO NOT WEE AND POO IS FULLY CLEANED OUT ONCE A WEEK.

I disinfect the whole hutch once a week, but it does not get rid of the stains. I was wondering if it's calcium buildup or limescale, as we have a lot of limescale in this area, I live in Greater London; the stains on the hutch floor and litter tray have built up over time, well, 5 weeks. The marks on the paper really shocked me because they only had access to it for about 9 hours last night and to create that amount of white mark is worrying. They seem healthy and happy within themselves. No problems with their bum.

Their diet is:

4 handfuls of SS pellets(2 in morning, 2 in evening)
    Trying with different veg(fed spring greens, celery)
    Meadow hay and Timothy Hay
    Access to grass on clay soils for about 4-6 hours a day, every day.

Please help. Thanks
    Mummy to Molly, a Black Broken Mini Rex, 8 yrs old, and Gerry, a Black Otter Lionhead X Dwarf Lop, 7 yrs old.

RIP Milly, love you forever xxx

Its calcium.

Rabbits excrete excess calcium through their urine and it often appears to have a chalky texture and will dry white.

You may need to cut down on the calcium high vegetables in their diet such as kale, cabbage and brocolli

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Warren Veteran

I have only fed them spring greens and celery.
    Mummy to Molly, a Black Broken Mini Rex, 8 yrs old, and Gerry, a Black Otter Lionhead X Dwarf Lop, 7 yrs old.

Mama Doe

yep its calcium, Choci used to leave a lot of white marks so I cut him down to just a very small amount of kale/cabbage per day.

vikki

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by LionheadLuver View Post
    I have only fed them spring greens and celery.
    Spring greens have a lot of calcium in them.

Warren Veteran

I've found a small cause then. Think I won't give them spring greens till they are older. I only started them on veg about four or five days ago, if that. It was happening before then too.

Mama Doe

it just a though but what hay are they on? if they have alfala regulary that could also cause excess as its high in calcium.

Warren Veteran

They have meadow hay and timothy hay.

Bobbin's litter tray gets a little like that even though he doesn't have any of the above mentioned veg. I find that you really have to give it a good scrub to lift it, but by doing it once a week it helps it to not build up so much.

cleaning with white vinegar helps to remove the stains......if you dont mind the smell