• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Make or Break for Charlie - Lots of vibes please UPDATE 24/10

Jupiter

Warren Scout
Took Charlie back to vets tonight as he was still rolling and not getting any better. He gave him a shot of anti-inflammatry and told us to keep our eye on whether he improved or not in the next 24 hours. If he does, then he will give him more but if he doesn't then he very delicately suggested that Charlie will gradually go down hill and the kindest thing to do would be to euthanase,

I am in pieces. I am trying to be positive for my children but have told them that he is very poorly. Although I have had to restrict him to his room for his own good, everywhere I look there are signs of him being there. :( I'm doing exactly what I told my children not to do - to mourn him before he is gone.:( :(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear he's not improved :( Poor little man! Stu, Ebony and myself will be sending lots of healing vibes to Charlie! Please keep us updated on how he is!

Abbie x

Hiya,

sending big vibes for Charlie! We totally understand how it is for you and hope and pray that the anti-inflammatory works - It did for Buck initially - was the only thing which did make a difference. Please keep us posted xx

Thanks everyone and thank you Jane - I have read the links - shown them to DH! It gives me a bit more of a positive outlook.

I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie, I think I replied to one of your posts ages ago when Charlie was first poorly - my bun (also called Charlie) had a very similar episode a few months ago. He was totally rolling over, it took 3 or 4 days for the rolling to calm down and a couple of weeks before he could stand up again. The one thing that concerns me about the medication that your Charlie is on is that my vet was very insistant that my Charlie stayed at the vets for a week so he could have twice daily injections of antibiotics. I suggest oral antibiotics and he said that the injections were more likely to work, so much so that Charlie lived at the vets for the first week, I injected him over the weekend, and he went to the vets as a day patient for a second week before we put him on oral meds. It might be worth asking your vet about trying injectable meds.

My Charlie came down with this very suddenly at the beginning of August, we treated him with panacur and injectable (then oral) antibiotics for 28 days ie EC and an ear infection, none of us thought he'd come through it but he's made an almost total recovery. The only lingering sign is that when he's tired his head tilts slightly, and if he stands on his back legshe tends to fall over backwards.

There is hope, don't give up yet. Sending lots of snuggles to Charlie and hugs to you.

Bev, Charlie & Lavender xxx

Update 24/10

Well, there wasn't a really huge improvement in Charlie overnight, he is still rolling over a lot but he gets back up on his feet quickly. We had to phone the vet to tell him how he was this morning. The fact that Charlie does everything for himself (eat, groom, poo, etc.) he was of the same opinion as us that we should continue trying to get him right. So now we have to do some 'rehab' with him. We have to build a slalom course with a food trail for him to follow and at the end he gets a treat. I think it's to try and help him get his balance and co-ordination a bit better.

Did the first one tonight although it wasn't a very good one as I don't have any boxes at the moment. He rolled the entire way through to the end but did run to his strawberry!! :) Things can only get better!!

If anyone has any tips or advice on a 'rabbit slalom' I would be happy to hear them!!

Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes our way, I will keep you all updated with his progress. I'm trying to keep myself feeling a little more positive than I was last night and you all helped! :D

The one thing that concerns me about the medication that your Charlie is on is that my vet was very insistant that my Charlie stayed at the vets for a week

Charlie is very easily stressed when not in his own environment, the way he is I really don't think it would have done him any favours - he is traumatised after just visiting the vets, let alone staying there. I will, however, mention the medication to the vet when I speak to him on Friday.

It's good to hear that your bun had a good recovery - I so need to hear stories like that! Charlie is a fighter but I think I gave up last night!! Hopefully I will be a bit more positive in future!!! :)

The brother of my Ra has a really bad head tilt, and sometimes he has phases when he is worse and rolls a lot. At the moment his head is completely to the one side i.e.one eye facing ceiling, other eye facing floor.
It can be really distressing to see, but he has been bonded with a girly rabbit and he copes well.
When he is at his worst I could just sit and cry for him, but then a week later he can be like a different rabbit, and he does deserve to be given a chance.
I've seen rabbits 'recover' from head tilt back to a near normal state, so fingers crossed for Charlie.
I feel for you 'cos I know how hard it is to see them when they're at their worst.

he has been bonded with a girly rabbit and he copes well.

Did he bond with the girly rabbit before or after his head tilt? The only reason I ask is that we wanted to bond Charlie with a girly rabbit before he got ill. If Charlie improves enough, then I'd still like to do it but I was worried that the other bun might 'pick' on him because he might still overbalance or perhaps another bun might help him improve a bit more! :roll:

Hello :wave:

I'm sorry to hear that your charlie is still poorly. My bunny also has severe loss of balance and episodes of head tilt and rolling which will still don't know the cause. But i have read many success stories about the treatment of head tilt which comforts me. My vet told me that she knew a rabbit who lived perfectly happily with severe head tilt for 7 years, but the recovery period took around 6 months. It can be a long process but it is certainly a reason to stay positive.

Sending lots of get well vibes to charlie and hoping he will get better soon xxxx

Back