• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Shed... work in progress u/d 27th, u/d 4th finished :-)

Well my shed finally arrived on Friday! So the conversion into a bunny home could begin! Can't call in a mansion as it's only 6 x 4, but perhaps a beju pad?

Well here is is from the ourside! Not very exciting really! Oh... I paid extra for assembly!

1.jpg

On the inside - again exciting!

2.jpg

Once I'd layed the laminate flooring (now the two tone effect is of course intentional and nothing to do with me forgetting which I ones I bought the first time round!)

3.jpg

Coming back from the DIY store with supplies!

4.jpg

Putting the shelf in (I'm not going say how long it took me to saw 2 inches off the ply to make it fit!!) I'm going to make the right hand side into a semi enclosed cubby hole so it's nice and cosy for Barley.
5.jpg

I'm very pround of making the holes in the right paces so that the shelf was a snug fit:
6.jpg

I've still quite a lot of work to do with it, enclose the cubby hole bit (with a door so that it's easy to clean out, put a "cat flap" in so as to provide access to the run once it's attached, and make a wire door (like the ones shown on the Greenfields website). Hoping to get all of this done next weekend though!

Hope Barley likes it!

Hannah

Last edited:
I am very impressed with your handiwork :) . Can I ask what's going on the shelf? Thr reason I ask is that it looks like it's bowing without anything on it so it wouldn't take anything too heavy.

I've helped out at Greenfields and the wire mesh inner door is split like a stable door and the bottom section is low enough for you to step over, but high enough that buns can't jump over it (well that's the theory :lol: )

Keep us updated on the work in progress...... lucky bunny :) .

I am very impressed with your handiwork :) . Can I ask what's going on the shelf? Thr reason I ask is that it looks like it's bowing without anything on it so it wouldn't take anything too heavy.

I've helped out at Greenfields and the wire mesh inner door is split like a stable door and the bottom section is low enough for you to step over, but high enough that buns can't jump over it (well that's the theory :lol: )

Keep us updated on the work in progress...... lucky bunny :) .

I agree it does look like it's bowing! I think it looked worse in the photo than in real life, or I measured the centre support slightly too short! It is 9mm ply - so quite sturdy! I'm not actually planning on putting anything on the shelf, although I guess Barley has the capability of jumping on it! The shelf acutally has 3 quite long shelf "arms" under it, so although it doesn't look straight I think it is quite stong!

That's exatly what I was planning for the door! Although I know the highest I can step over is 2foot and I know Barley can jump that as he jumped out of his run which is 2 foot! But at least he won't be able to "barge" out of it ;)

I will post finished photos - hopefully at the weekend :D I'm a slow worker!

Wow that is the shed that my mum and da bought me for my b'day for Mopsy =] x Dad is getting all the groundwork done at the mo then he will erect it =] x

Well of course it's the weekend, so I have had chance to work on the shed again! I've almost finished it, all i need to do is make the wire stable door. But I have moved Barley in, as I can add that later I think (hopefully start on it tomorrow - didn't have enough wood today!)

Here is the internal view of the finished article. I created an area in it which was a bit of a "den" so to speak, thinking Barley might like somewhere to "hide out" or it might be warmer. This area is filled with hay as that is what he is used to in his hutch. I didn't however see the need to fill the whole of the shed with hay - am I right in thinking that?

It is a 6 ft x 4ft shed and the area at the back is about 2ft!

7.jpg

The "den" is quite cosy I think as I've put this extra bit of wood to make it more enclosed, but with a rabbit sized space for him to get through!

8.jpg

Inside the den (I made it an opening door to ease the cleaning) there's not really anything in there just lots of hay:

9.jpg

This is the little opening so that he can get to the outside (I did buy a cat flap but the door part seemed just so stiff and I don't think it would have fitted to such a thin bit of wood, so I took it back for a refund):

10.jpg

With the door open (clearly I'm no good at hanging doors - but it works), I'm still to think of a way to make sure it stays open:

11.jpg

From the outside, there are rather many screws but I don't think they will do any harm:

12.jpg

The overall picture, the run is his existing one:

13.jpg

Oh.. and hanging inside is a bag of fresh hay, just enough to top him up with each day, so I don't have to make such a mess dragging it from the garage each day (I don't think he can reach it, but if it is on the floor in the morning I will know otherwise):

14.jpg

I've since put his bowl and a log roll in there which were out of his old run, so he has some familiar things with him.

When I left he was investigating it, didn't take him long to find the "door" and kept hopping from the shed to the run :love:

As I say I've still to make a wire mesh stable door to make it easier for me to open the shed door and climb in without Barley running out, and also in summer especially I can open the main door and allow more ventilation into the shed. I'm also going to put a higher shelf in to store his food and a few other bit n' pieces.

What does everyone think... will it be okay for him?

Hannah

He has always done his "business" in the run... you "never" and I mean never find so much as a stray dropping in the hutch... (well perhaps one of two once in a while) *touches wood*, I hope he continues to do the same!

Just got to go and check on how he's settling in!

H x

I'd have to put quite a few more shelves to enable him to look out of the window, perhaps it's something I can think about for later. I do plan of having an inner mesh door, which he will be able to look out of (and to supply ventilation esp in the summer), and just close the main door at night.

Thanks

Hannah

Hannah that looks fab :D :wave: . I'd agree in just keeping the hay confined to the closed area (well nice theory anyway :lol: ).
I'm well impressed with your cat flap invention. Again borrowing an idea from Greenfields, they use a lot of catches to hold things open (I don't know what they're called but have a hook that goes into a ring.. maybe hook and eye :? :oops: ). They use those as well to keep the mesh door open when cleaning etc.

Just been out to see and feed Barley this morning.

He seems to have settled well into the shed, eaten all his dinner (like he always does). Although rather than tucking into his breakfast he just kept hopping around beween the shed and the run, I hope that's just excitement! :rolleyes: Will pop out in a bit to make sure he is tucking in!

Although it is only twice the floor space of his hutch, it seems a lot larger - I'm generally really happy with it :D

Didn't think of needing something to hold the mesh doors open, would have realised after they banged me several times though :roll:

Hannah

Back