• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch insulation

Jayney

Mama Doe
just wondered how people keep their bunnies warm in hte winter time.

i usually cover the top back and sides of the hutch with an old duvet, than cover the top back and sides with a large tarpoline. on the front i have a blanket and a shower curtain.

what methods do everyone else use

Im making hutch covering this year......old carpet off cuts with tarpaulin stitched around it like a cover and then sticky back velcro to attatch it over the mesh.

On top of that the bedding is double the depth it normally is and Im buying all the outdoor buns a snuggle safe.

I used to use the duvet thing when I was younger but I dont have that many old duvets now!

My lot are in a playhouse. They insist on sleeping on their shelf, so they have vetbed (although now the cheap Ikea version) and a heatpad.

They also have curtains on their windows but I'm a bit worried they might bump into things.

Im making hutch covers out of the silver bublewrap insulation out of B&Q (currently doing 2 rolls for the price of 1 so thats 15metres in all for £30) ive made 2 so far i cut out the pieces to fit and seal all sides with waterproof tape then stick each piece together with waterproof tape, stitch on some velcro tabs to secure it to the hutch and voila its done. im using the scratch and newton hutch snuggle as a template but adjusting it to my hutch dimensions.

100_0594.jpg

100_0593.jpg

100_0592.jpg

100_0555.jpg

100_0559.jpg

100_0557.jpg

I can make approximatly 3 hutch covers (1 Lavender lodge size and 2 Rabbit shack size) out of the 15 metres of thermal insulation.

worth a try and not that difficult, i can put one together in an afternoon.
and its good for the summer too as it relects the sun and stops the hutch over heating and alot cheaper than the scratch and newton ones

This is my first winter with my buns, so I'm going to put vetbed in their bedroom, and barley straw/meadow hay as their bedding. I'm going to put a duvet cover over the front of the hutch and a plastic sheet. I'm getting a snugglesafe when it is really, REALLY cold and after their spay this winter.

Im making hutch covers out of the silver bublewrap insulation out of B&Q (currently doing 2 rolls for the price of 1 so thats 15metres in all for £30) ive made 2 so far i cut out the pieces to fit and seal all sides with waterproof tape then stick each piece together with waterproof tape, stitch on some velcro tabs to secure it to the hutch and voila its done. im using the scratch and newton hutch snuggle as a template but adjusting it to my hutch dimensions.

I can make approximatly 3 hutch covers (1 Lavender lodge size and 2 Rabbit shack size) out of the 15 metres of thermal insulation.

and its good for the summer too as it relects the sun and stops the hutch over heating and alot cheaper than the scratch and newton ones
Yours look a darn sight more professional than mine and I think I may try an upgrade to yours.. .thanks for the tips (mine has a gap under the roof overlap which you seem to have oversome:) ).

debs's is great! she showed me piccies on her camera when we met when she collected indi. they look fantastic!! im definatly makin some!!!

I got a scratch and newton hutch hugger and was going to get the snuggle safe to go under it but costs upwards of £49.99 so will be heading to B & Q instead as it looks just like the one you have made!

They are brilliant! I used lagging jackets last year and wanted to do something like that, but couldn'rt find anything suitable. Wish I'd seen that then!:D . Everyone has moved into sheds this year, so lagging jackets not required. Well done they are fab.:D :D

I just got the silver bubblewrap from B&Q today. Mine live in a wendy house so we have stapled it to all the walls and then screwed hardboard over so the little devils don't eat it (like one of them did with the new vetbed last week!!)

my two are in the shed with lots of straw so should be fine.

Rescue bun Roxy has double duvet covered with tarpaulin over run and i want to but a snuggle safe for hutch (it's a combi)

Rescue bun Dude has a hutch hugger and tarpaulin over his run.

Would love two snugglesafe's really, just need to save up or i'll prob ask for money for xmas from family so i can buy them. would rather get the buns something than me. not much i want really

Brilliant thread

Hi gals & guys!
I know it's supposed to be summer here in the uk but two days go by and it's winter again so let's all be prepared and start thinking about hutch insulation. I was thinking celotex but having seen the foil insulation it seems like a much easier and cost effective way of insulating. I still may go ahead and use both celotex and foil if it gets really frosty!
Awesome savy! Much appreciated posts! :)

just one little question, is it cumbersome lifting the insultation up to access the rabbits/feed/clean? do you feel like you cant see them as much?

I'd love to have a huge shed done with kingspan but with so many rabbits is need either two huge 12x16 ft sheds or loads of small ones.
I'm hoping to have a huge outhouse one day with electric and running water so I can have radiators for winter and two or more large ceiling fans for summer. It's not too unrealistic as all the men on my family are tradesmen and I hope to buy a house in the next couple of years.

Really can't wait.

Looking forward to using thermal foil. Looks ace. I've just been building and making repairs/improvements to hutches ready for winter. Going to be snug this year for sure! :)

Back