Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hutch insulation

Default hutch insulation

just wondered how people keep their bunnies warm in hte winter time.

i usually cover the top back and sides of the hutch with an old duvet, than cover the top back and sides with a large tarpoline. on the front i have a blanket and a shower curtain.

what methods do everyone else use

Im making hutch covering this year......old carpet off cuts with tarpaulin stitched around it like a cover and then sticky back velcro to attatch it over the mesh.

On top of that the bedding is double the depth it normally is and Im buying all the outdoor buns a snuggle safe.

I used to use the duvet thing when I was younger but I dont have that many old duvets now!

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Warren Veteran

My lot are in a playhouse. They insist on sleeping on their shelf, so they have vetbed (although now the cheap Ikea version) and a heatpad.

They also have curtains on their windows but I'm a bit worried they might bump into things.
    Inky (2004-20012) and Smokey (2004-2015)
    "Your absence has gone through me. Like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its colour.Ē

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals"

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyClover View Post

They also have curtains on their windows but I'm a bit worried they might bump into things.
    That is so cute

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Alpha Buck

Im making hutch covers out of the silver bublewrap insulation out of B&Q (currently doing 2 rolls for the price of 1 so thats 15metres in all for £30) ive made 2 so far i cut out the pieces to fit and seal all sides with waterproof tape then stick each piece together with waterproof tape, stitch on some velcro tabs to secure it to the hutch and voila its done. im using the scratch and newton hutch snuggle as a template but adjusting it to my hutch dimensions.

I can make approximatly 3 hutch covers (1 Lavender lodge size and 2 Rabbit shack size) out of the 15 metres of thermal insulation.

worth a try and not that difficult, i can put one together in an afternoon.
    and its good for the summer too as it relects the sun and stops the hutch over heating and alot cheaper than the scratch and newton ones

Mum to Rosie, Petey, Jess, Twinkle, Timmy + Emily And my newest addition Benji.

R.I.P Nibbles, Bambi & Bobby your sadly missed

R.I.P My Precious Brave Louis, I cant believe your gone, I Miss you SO much xxx
    R.I.P Sweet Jessie, You were my cuddlebun, I miss you baby so brave till the very end xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Warren Veteran

This is my first winter with my buns, so I'm going to put vetbed in their bedroom, and barley straw/meadow hay as their bedding. I'm going to put a duvet cover over the front of the hutch and a plastic sheet. I'm getting a snugglesafe when it is really, REALLY cold and after their spay this winter.
    Mummy to Molly, a Black Broken Mini Rex, 8 yrs old, and Gerry, a Black Otter Lionhead X Dwarf Lop, 7 yrs old.

RIP Milly, love you forever xxx

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Debs2811 View Post
    Im making hutch covers out of the silver bublewrap insulation out of B&Q (currently doing 2 rolls for the price of 1 so thats 15metres in all for £30) ive made 2 so far i cut out the pieces to fit and seal all sides with waterproof tape then stick each piece together with waterproof tape, stitch on some velcro tabs to secure it to the hutch and voila its done. im using the scratch and newton hutch snuggle as a template but adjusting it to my hutch dimensions.

I can make approximatly 3 hutch covers (1 Lavender lodge size and 2 Rabbit shack size) out of the 15 metres of thermal insulation.

worth a try and not that difficult, i can put one together in an afternoon.
    and its good for the summer too as it relects the sun and stops the hutch over heating and alot cheaper than the scratch and newton ones
    Yours look a darn sight more professional than mine and I think I may try an upgrade to yours.. .thanks for the tips (mine has a gap under the roof overlap which you seem to have oversome ).
    Jill

In the playhouse i have put in polyboard then hardboard over that to insulate,rick
    Rick

http://bunheaven.webs.com/some usefull info on rabbits.www.bleakholt.org Rabbits always available for adoption.
    BINKY FREE TEASEL SOPHIE AND ROONEY

debs's is great! she showed me piccies on her camera when we met when she collected indi. they look fantastic!! im definatly makin some!!!

Gone but never forgotten, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Domino, and my sweet little Bertie, who was taken far too soon.

Young Bun

I got a scratch and newton hutch hugger and was going to get the snuggle safe to go under it but costs upwards of £49.99 so will be heading to B & Q instead as it looks just like the one you have made!