• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny keeps escaping (but comes home)

Can anyone help. I have a large run for Tamba (he shares with Rhubarb the Guinea Pig) and they are best of friends.

Every day Tamba has managed to escape (somehow) and every day i get him and put him back, but he still gets out. I feel really bad because although he gets out and noseys around the neighbours gardens he always comes home, but i fear him being attacked by another animal.

He is well loved by me and my two children and he obviously loves us or he wouldnt come back right? But what to do? He i so happy having his freedom but comes home to tell us he is ok. I feel bad about cooping him up when he bunny hops around the garden (which is quite large too).

Ideas?? Thoughts?? Any thing welcomed.
Regards
Tambasmummy

Does the run have a lid? Rabbits can jump much higher than you think! Can he dig out, or is the door easily opened? You could try fitting a padlock if this is the case, or weight down a cover to stop him jumping out, even try putting the run on paving slabs if he likes to dig out. If he can get out somehow, then other things will be able to get in, so you need to make sure they are secure to prevent cats or foxes getting in to them.
Its not really recommended to keep bunnies and piggies together, not sure if you knew. Rabbits can easily kill a piggie by accident and one carries a bacteria which is harmless to it, but very dangerous to the other species. They would most likely be happier with a friend of their own species so they can communicate properly too :) Welcome to the forum :wave:

:wave: Hi

I wouldnt let him play out in the garden until it is completely bunny proofed :D He may be jumping out of the run, one of my boys is a right little jumper and I was amazed the first time I saw him clear his run :shock: :lol: Also if the run has a lid its not only keeping Tamba in, but its keeping other animals out ;) x

Also all my buns like digging little holes in the garden :lol: So I keep the runs on paving slabs so they cant dig out when I am not home :D

Is your neighbours garden bunny proof? Its just I would be worried that maybe he could dig his way out of their garden and onto a road or something? :D My Buu has dug into the neighbours garden a few times now, but I know she cant get anywhere else from there as their garden is all concrete and has brick walls so im lucky in that if she does manage to get under the fence she has no choice to come back :lol:

I dont like her going in there though because I cant see whats going on over the wall and cats do come into our gardens, plus next door do have plants which are poisinous to bunnies so I always go and get her straight away :D

Its already been mentioned that bunnies and piggies shouldnt live together because its not very good for either of them so maybe it would be an option to find them each a friend? :D x

hi there

Thanks for the advice. The run is on paving slabs and i have heavy carpets tiles around anywhere there is any hint of space. Tamba is happily jumping around the garden right now and i watch him carefully,Tamba is an anghora cross lion head and very large, so easily spotted. Tamba and Rhubarb have been friends for 3 years now and I would fear for Rhubarb if separated, I took over their care when the old owners had decided the animals were too much problem to care for? ( I never understand that one)! and I wouldnt have had them together through choice). I did separate them when i first took them in but Rhubarb squealed all day and night from anxiety that i had to put them back together. I think in this case, i have to hope and pray that nothings gets passed between them.

My family are coming from Canada this week for a long stay and they are going to build me a huge run, so I guess i just have to hope and pray nothing happens to Tamba before this time.

Thanks and regards

Do they have access to the run 24/7? :D It might be an idea to just let them exercise in the house until they have a secure run :D x

Tamba sounds gorgeous!! :D

Hello and welcome to the forum.

My first rabbit did this - I did everything (or so I thought at the time) to stop her but she kept getting out but always came back. And then one day she didn't. I never saw her again.

I would recommend doing what you can to make sure your bun can't get out - it's devastating when they don't come back. I felt so guilty for a very long time. Second time round I didn't make the same mistake (I don't want you to think that I think you're doing anything wrong).

Good luck with it - I know how determined bunnies can be! Let us know how you get on.

Rebec

Last edited:
Back