Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: genetics?

Banned

Default genetics?

hi all,my mate has got a litter of 5wk old purebreed dwarfs.anyways,theres 4 in the nest all smooth coated and small,but theres one thats a lionlop! she is the biggest ball of fluff you have ever seen.got a massive mane and fur so thick and long.totally adorable.what i want know is where has she come from?both parents and their parents were pure dwarf lops?if i could post pics i would.shes unbelievable!xxxxxx

A genetic throwback?

A combination of two recessive genes meeting?

Bunny Mummy to Juno, Scout & Fiver
    RIP:Honeycomb, Rowan, Caspian, Pippa, Maverick, Cassius, Callisto, Bobby, Mackenzie, Lexie &
    Marley

"I would like to be able to admire a manís opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark

Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum

Banned

thanks for that.so somewhere all the line theres got to be a lionhead.so will be be classed as a lionlop or just a fluffy dwarf lop? x

If none of the parents have a mane I can't see how the kit can have one Sure its not just longhaired? (We call it Fuchs, not sure what the english word for it is) that is a recessive trait, and can be carried for generations and then pop up when two normal-coated rabbits carrying the gene mates.

the allele for fluff must be recessive (like ginger hair) as it's popped up randomly.
    one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!
    Our little lady Claudia, born Sept '09

Can't wait to meet baby girl number 2 due in June!

Charlie and Jack, my angels at the Rainbow Bridge

For the kit to be longhaired BOTH parents must carry the longcoated gene it's their ancesty. So if you where to put a cashmere lop for example to a dwarf lop you would get short coated rabbits if the dwarf lop DIDN'T carry the longcoated gene. (Just an example btw)

one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!
    Last edited by cashmincal; 17-10-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Do something amazing - adopt a rescue.

Wise Old Thumper

Hope the baby isn't a woolly

I don't know anything about genetics, but I have read that random woolly babies have started cropping up in lop litters. More likely in a litter of cashmere lops, but perhaps these rabbits aren't as purebred as your friend thinks?

Amy

Warren Scout

hey davies can u put a pic up so we all can see he/she is probably really adorable

We wonderd that about Poppy there supposd to be lionxlops, Cleo looks just like her mother, Casper has no mane more o a lop eared all of them are black but poppy has much longer fur and is totall a differnet colour to the rest where they hav a mane she is all fluff around her body to looks really odd with the rest. I don't know nothing about genetics so it's probably normal but i did wonder if she belonged in there family once
    Mammy to one bunny Pepper Pots and 2 kittens Tippy and Yuki.

Visit my facebook page for art Artbykerry