• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or Straw?

I would think straw due to it being hollow which is supposed to be better for insulating. Its also denser than hay.

I use both anyway.....hay on a layer of straw.

As a kid me and my friends made a hut filled with straw. That was really warm:D Never tried one of hay so I can't really compare^^; Espesially not now as I've seem to have developed hay-allergy (and I've chosen the smartest pets...but it's okay as long as I don't stick my head into the hayrack which I usually don't have to:lol: ) I usually just use hay though, as I've never bothered to buy any straw, but on school I use straw since it's available and my buns have a tendency to eat their beds if its hayXD (They're not all to exited about straw)

I've been reading the thread and was very interested in it i never contiplated using straw but am going to this winter and use the hay for them to munch on:D Even though this wasn't may question thanks for the replies ive learned something new

I've been reading the thread and was very interested in it i never contiplated using straw but am going to this winter and use the hay for them to munch on:D Even though this wasn't may question thanks for the replies ive learned something new

Just make sure its Barley straw you use, some straw types are too coarse to make cmfortable bedding ;)

Just make sure its Barley straw you use, some straw types are too coarse to make cmfortable bedding ;)

coarse straw can also be dangerous if they get poked in the eye with it. I put some vet bed in the hutch during winter but they still like to lie on the slabs instead :roll: :lol:

Back