• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growling bunny?!?

Rice

Mama Doe
So hubby is trying so hard to be nicer about and more involved with Piper (per my request). So yesterday he was giving her her veggies, trying to bond with her a little and he swears she growled at him! She lunged at his hand that had the broccoli and growled (so he says...) I told him he was crazy, but he insists he heard something. Has anyone ever heard of bunnies growling?? (I know that sounds so stupid to even ask but I told hubby I would...)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Also, what can he do to get her to like him/gain her trust?? He's never been mean or anything to her, he usually just ignores her so I don't know why she dislikes him so much.

Is she speyed? Sometimes ladies can git a bit grumpy if they aren't speyed. But also some buns just have favourites sometimes. Your huspand could lie on the floor with her for a bit with food and let her invesitgate him.

So Hubby isn't crazy?!? Good to know... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did she growl because she was afraid, or doesn't like Kevin? He was actually kind of upset she growled and lunged because he was trying to bond with her, he kinda got his feelings hurt :rolleyes: :D

Yes, they sure DO growl.....and for someone who isn't really familiar with bunnies, it can be SLIGHTLY unsettling!!!!!:lol: :lol: A couple of mine will lunge at my hands when I put fresh veggies in.....they just can't WAIT to get ahold of them and get very impatient!!!:roll: :lol:

My Poppy is a bit of a growler, she does it when she is afraid or unsure of something, did your hubby give her the Brocholi (sp) then keep hold of it? She may have thought he was taking it away again? Poppy does have favorites (my oh :roll: )

Is she speyed? Sometimes ladies can git a bit grumpy if they aren't speyed. But also some buns just have favourites sometimes. Your huspand could lie on the floor with her for a bit with food and let her invesitgate him.

Yes, she is spayed but I swear she's been acting up more now since she's been spayed than she did before... She lets him pet her sometimes so I was confused she was being so hostile.

I would definatly think it's more a case of being afraid/defensive rather than hostile, maybe he could take things slower and let her get used to his smell etc first.

My Billy is a bit of a grumpy growler at times. Its usually a sign of him expressing disapproval over something. I just give him extra big cuddles to let him know I still love the ol' grumpy bun:lol:

My Poppy is a bit of a growler, she does it when she is afraid or unsure of something, did your hubby give her the Brocholi (sp) then keep hold of it? She may have thought he was taking it away again? Poppy does have favorites (my oh :roll: )

I'm pretty sure he was still holding it, so maybe she just really wanted her broccoli! I guess I don't have to worry about Piper liking my hubby more than me anytime soon! :D :D

I'm pretty sure he was still holding it, so maybe she just really wanted her broccoli! I guess I don't have to worry about Piper liking my hubby more than me anytime soon! :D :D

Tell him to let her take it from him rather than hold onto it, my buns get very possesive over food :lol:

It's great that he's making the effort, lets hope he hasn't been put off!

So Hubby isn't crazy?!? Good to know... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did she growl because she was afraid, or doesn't like Kevin? He was actually kind of upset she growled and lunged because he was trying to bond with her, he kinda got his feelings hurt :rolleyes: :D

LOLOLOLOL!! My O/H does this!! He pretends he's not interested, but then when he tries to stroke them and they run away, u can tell he's upset, but then he says something "macho" like "you big pussy!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

I would definatly think it's more a case of being afraid/defensive rather than hostile, maybe he could take things slower and let her get used to his smell etc first.

I'll definitely tell him to slow it down, I guess I just figured since she'd gotten used to me she'd gotten used to hubby as well!

LOLOLOLOL!! My O/H does this!! He pretends he's not interested, but then when he tries to stroke them and they run away, u can tell he's upset, but then he says something "macho" like "you big pussy!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

That is exactly something my hubby would say! In fact, I'm sure he did say something along those lines! Men... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i find the best way to hand feed is to have something small and tasty like pellets or small pieces of chopped up veg like carrot. They can come and take a piece at a time from your fingers or, if you lay your palm flat and they've got a bit more confidence, they'll come and eat from your palm.....

oh and I think my buns would growl at me if i was holding onto their brocolli (even though they love me to bits). It's their favourite veg & they like to go and eat it in a corner, far away from other bunnys or humans who might want to eat it too.

How long ago was she 'fixed' it takes a while to see the full effects.

My bunnies snatch food from my hands.....that is the ones who havnt got wise to the idea that if they lunge I will drop it in fright :rolleyes:

My doe Angel growls a LOT!! shes just a grumpy kind of bunny! She's been known to 'bark' too and often lunges etc.

Back